Stihl 026 Carb Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blairbuc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, the manual is close to useless in this one aspect of removing the Carb from a Sthil 026. The throttle that is really a linkage of a bent wire going from the index finger trigger on the handle and then this bent wire twists its way over to the linkage on the carb itself so you can go from idle to full throttle by depressing the throttle on the handle. The manual does not give enough detail on how to remove this bent wire carb linkage going from the trigger on the handle over to the carb. Does one simple take a big screwdriver and pry the plastic handle appart on a 026 in order to remove this wire from the trigger? This wire has to be removed inorder to pull the carb off the studs. Wondering how other Sthil 026 owners did it.

Blair

I take the black top part of the rear handle off. One screw and you can slip the throttle linkage out of its slot easily. Carb slides off easy. I put the linkage inplace before sliding the carb back onto the studs during re-assembly. Don't go prying on anything with a big screwdriver.

Like Oscar said, turn the saw over and there is a screw in the heel of the rear handle, philips drive, remove this screw and the black plastic handle insert will come off, be careful as there is a spring that holds the safety presence lever in its up position. It will not fly away as it wraps around the throttle/trigger pin but you will have to get it in the right place when you reassemble the cover.

Pioneerguy600

Oscar,

Thanks - I found the 1 screw , at the bottom, which I did not see initially. You gave me the clue and saved me from cracking the black plastic top- thanks.

While I'm here I see the impusle tube. For a test without a gage I'm thinking a drop of oil at the end of it - pull the start cord and see if the drop of oil blows out or gets sucked in. Do you know which way it that drop should go...blown out or sucked in?

Blair

PioneerGuy600

Thanks on the pulse and the location of the screw on the handle.

One last issue. There are only two orange plastic covers on this saw. One slide off cover for the air cleaner , that is not the one I am questioning. The much larger orange plastic shroud that goes all the way over the engine jug is what I want to remove. I only see one rather fancy ' Brass' Screw that I beleive is the only screw keeping this large organe plastic shrould from sliding off but it's torqued on there far beyond what a shround holding screw needs to be. It also appearst to be an overly fancy screw just to hold a plastic shroud on. There is a hole in the plastic shrowd to expose this brass screw and I'm wondering if it's not a fancy plug for perhaps a de-compression option if you elect to get that option later? So what do I have wrong? This brass screw if you were holding the saw and the operator looking straight down at the top of the saw's plastic orange engine cover (blade pointing away from you) - well this brass screw would be approximately at the 7 or 8 O'clock position on the top of that orange plastic shroud.

Any clue on taking the engine shroud off?

Blair

PioneerGuy600

Thanks on the pulse and the location of the screw on the handle.

One last issue. There are only two orange plastic covers on this saw. One slide off cover for the air cleaner , that is not the one I am questioning. The much larger orange plastic shroud that goes all the way over the engine jug is what I want to remove. I only see one rather fancy ' Brass' Screw that I beleive is the only screw keeping this large organe plastic shrould from sliding off but it's torqued on there far beyond what a shround holding screw needs to be. It also appearst to be an overly fancy screw just to hold a plastic shroud on. There is a hole in the plastic shrowd to expose this brass screw and I'm wondering if it's not a fancy plug for perhaps a de-compression option if you elect to get that option later? So what do I have wrong? This brass screw if you were holding the saw and the operator looking straight down at the top of the saw's plastic orange engine cover (blade pointing away from you) - well this brass screw would be approximately at the 7 or 8 O'clock position on the top of that orange plastic shroud.

Any clue on taking the engine shroud off?

Blair

Nope -- that screw just screws onto a stud on the top of the cylinder. It's the only fastener holding the shroud on. Later 026's have a top cover with a hole in the middle for the decomp (see pic). This is plugged for the non-pro version.

412035315_o.jpg

Brages,

Thanks for the come back and photo.
I'll give that brass screw another shot of penetrating oil and hope it comes off tomorrow. At least I know it's the right one now..

Thanks

Blair

Stihl 026 Carb Replacement.

Time for a new Carb.
I'm not wild about the dealers new EPA mandated carb with no high end adjustment and prefer finding a Carb with both an High and Low carb adjustment and the 3rd screw for ' idle' adjustment.

The Walbro WT-194-1 is a pre EPA mandated Carb with all the adjustment screws but I don't know if a WT-194-1 will fit on all the years Stihl made the 026. In my case I have a 1987 Stihl 026 and another 026 (neighbor's) made in 1991 and we are both in need of new replacement carbs.

Anyone know if the WT-194-1 fits with no modifications?

Blair

Latest posts

Back