stihl 026 help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl026x

Reaction score
need help with my stihl 026-
1. just rebuilt the carb because it was not pumping fuel and replaced the spark plug
2. now it starts but only runs for a couple of seconds and quits. wouldn't restart after that
3. pulled the plug to find excess fuel, drained it and replaced the plug. it started for a few seconds just like before, pulled the plug again and excess fuel.

any help would be great. thanks

sounds like the needle is not shutting. you may have to put the original arm back in there and try it again.

sounds like the needle is not shutting. you may have to put the original arm back in there and try it again.

That would be my guess also. They put those new arms in the kits but never tell you they have to be set with a special tool before they will work correctly. I always reuse the old arm when installing a kit.

Make sure you have the gaskets and diaphragms in the proper order. That could cause your metering diaphragm to keep the needle afloat.

Other than problems directly related to the rebuild one very simple thing it can be, is that when the carb was reinstalled the pulse line did not slip onto the nipple on the carb.

thanks-it runs like a dream

thanks for the advice, it went back through the carb and looked checked it all out. it came down to the rebuild, one of the screens that came in the kit was slightly different, when i put the old one back on it corrected the flooding issue. runs great now off to work.

Best feeling in the world when you finally find the problem and you get the saw purring again. A properly setup 026 is a thing of beauty. :clap:

Back