Stihl 028 AV Super repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.013 squish is way too tight. You want closer to .020 to be safe and will still have good compression. A stock .5mm gasket will get you into a mid .030-ish range or you could use thinner material and make a gasket yourself. Sealant alone shouldn't be relied on for much thickness unless your right on the edge at .017~.018 and just need a thou or two.

And the rings do have an 'up' and a 'down' to accommodate the pin in the ring groove if you haven't learned that yet. Easy to break em if attempting to force em the wrong way.

.013 squish is way too tight. You want closer to .020 to be safe and will still have good compression. A stock .5mm gasket will get you into a mid .030-ish range or you could use thinner material and make a gasket yourself. Sealant alone shouldn't be relied on for much thickness unless your right on the edge at .017~.018 and just need a thou or two.

And the rings do have an 'up' and a 'down' to accommodate the pin in the ring groove if you haven't learned that yet. Easy to break em if attempting to force em the wrong way.
I had no idea about the rings! Thank you!

I got it all put back together, put fresh gas in it, gave it a shot of starter fluid, pulled the rope and it ran for about 5 seconds. it would not run unless i used starter fluid. I musta pulled it 50 times and nothing. ugh. maybe the carb needs reset or its just bad. i know the impulse line and gas line and filter are good.

Use drops of mix. Starter fluid isn’t good for 2 stroke engines. Zero lubrication.

Gotta check your carb and line/filter. Also check that it’s fueled, we have all been there.

Start without the air filter and some mix down the carb bore.
I never thought about no lube in the starter. I wont do that anymore.

Use drops of mix. Starter fluid isn’t good for 2 stroke engines. Zero lubrication.

Gotta check your carb and line/filter. Also check that it’s fueled, we have all been there.

Start without the air filter and some mix down the carb bore.

Also could be choke is not closing. See if you can get it going with a few thimble fulls of mix, one at a time, to get the carb primed and engine warmed a bit. If it runs then and still will not cold start check your choke.

Also could be choke is not closing. See if you can get it going with a few thimble fulls of mix, one at a time, to get the carb primed and engine warmed a bit. If it runs then and still will not cold start check your choke.
Will do. Thanks!

Beer can gasket time.

Here they are

Attachments

• 20190724_225546.jpg
    20190724_225546.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190724_225631.jpg
    20190724_225631.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20190724_225617.jpg
    20190724_225617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
That is a worn out flocked filter. OEM is NLA from stihl. I purchased a spare for mine a few years back. And I saved the old one that was marginal.

Might be able to find NOS/OEM on ebay? Or good used.

Don't scub them or use high pressure air to clean. Some dish detergent and your fingers/warm water will clean them. Then dry like laundry in air.

What are others using for 028 these days?

That is a worn out flocked filter. OEM is NLA from stihl. I purchased a spare for mine a few years back. And I saved the old one that was marginal.

Might be able to find NOS/OEM on ebay? Or good used.

Don't scub them or use high pressure air to clean. Some dish detergent and your fingers/warm water will clean them. Then dry like laundry in air.

What are others using for 028 these days?
Copy that

Back