Stihl 028 spur gear help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Ken

Old Ken

Im new to this forum so let me first say hello to everyone. I have a 028 av that has been working great until today. It started right up and runs fine but the spur gear isn,t turning. I took the bar off and the gear seems to be frozen I can turn it with a channel locks but it's tight. I'm guessing its the clutch. I took off the c-clip and snap ring but I don't know how to remove the gear. Any advise would help.
Thanks Ken

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Im new to this forum so let me first say hello to everyone. I have a 028 av that has been working great until today. It started right up and runs fine but the spur gear isn,t turning. I took the bar off and the gear seems to be frozen I can turn it with a channel locks but it's tight. I'm guessing its the clutch. I took off the c-clip and snap ring but I don't know how to remove the gear. Any advise would help.
Thanks Ken

To take the spocket out you have to remove the cover. Once you remove the circle clip, washer and the big snap ring unscrew the cover surrounding the sprocket and remove it. Then your home free to remove the sprocket.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Thanks for the info. I went out and removed the cover and found the brake was ingauged, boy do I fell dumb. Thanks agian, Ken:greenchainsaw:

I was wondering about that but some get offended when you memtion that to them so I try not to, it does happen alot, trust me, no biggie, glad you got it going. Good job.

Latest posts