Stihl 029 and 088 questions!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushrats

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Just picked up another couple of saws!
Iv got a little 029 and I’m wondering if this thing is missing a plate over the oiler or if it’s just ment to have the nylon bumpers 🤔

Next question,
I also picked up an old 088 but having some starting issues. When it’s cold it starts up easy enough, but after it warms up every time ya pull the cord it rips the cord out of your hand and doesn’t come out. Wondering if it’s a timing/ detonating early issue?
Cheers

Attachments

• 00D8EA0B-DEB7-4260-B1F7-A9D4DFD77226.jpeg
    00D8EA0B-DEB7-4260-B1F7-A9D4DFD77226.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 3FB22C4E-A507-4E44-94D7-1FB8C7501623.jpeg
    3FB22C4E-A507-4E44-94D7-1FB8C7501623.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A38638A8-E300-4D5E-8B29-AE72A7B7ACB9.jpeg
    A38638A8-E300-4D5E-8B29-AE72A7B7ACB9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Don't think the 029 has the cover plate
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...QQFnoECDMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1gS5ObawTEcO0o_niUnwoJThe 088 may have had the timing advanced a tad too much, I'd start by cleaning around the coil & checking /setting the gap. If there's play in the mounting of the coil mount it as far in the direction the flywheel spins towards as you can to have the least advance. If you're happy with the performance of the saw otherwise a D-handle on the pull chord may help.
Beyond that you'd need to pull the flywheel to see what's going on

Thanks mate appreciate it I will play around with the coil position and if that’s no good will dig around the fly wheel see what can sort out! Cheers

Thanks mate I will have a play with it this week and see if I can sort it out! Bloody good/ heavy saw but I don’t think I will swap it out for the 500i until I get a gym membership and train up to hood it for long periods of time 😂😂😂

As suggested by JD a D handle will help but it will still kickback. The suggestion of using a 372 decomp is something I need to look into for my West Bend 820 saws. I did not realize they released more than others

Thanks bill!
Iv had a play with the position of the coil but no luck. Still won’t let you pull start it without ripping the pull cord out of your hands and breaking all your fingers 😂😅 I have a spare coil so might try install that! 🤞🏽

Yeah you can feel it’s a lot easier to try and pull over and on a slow pull ya can hear the pressure coming out of the second but when you give a full propped tug to fire it up it just snaps back and rips the cord out of your hand ever time 🤔

Latest posts

Back