Stihl 031 clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on the fuel system of my friend's 031 Stihl when I started taking a few things off it and a clutch lining fell off in my hand! I hadn't touched the clutch of it except to catch that piece of lining, now I'm wondering if there's a way of putting the one piece of lining back on it. Thought about epoxy but imagine the heat would melt it back off. Anybody got any ideas other than replacing the clutch? We're kinda on a budget on this one...

clean the clutch good with sand paper and lacquer thinner and the inside of the lining a bit too. jb weld and let it dry....it could last for awhile...if you have a sharp chain and you are a smooth cutter shouldn't load the clutch too much...if ya go into the wood at near full throttle and the shoe is jammed against the drum could just last a long time....

good luck

clean the clutch good with sand paper and lacquer thinner and the inside of the lining a bit too. jb weld and let it dry....it could last for awhile...if you have a sharp chain and you are a smooth cutter shouldn't load the clutch too much...if ya go into the wood at near full throttle and the shoe is jammed against the drum could just last a long time....

good luck
Might be worth a try, I think I have a new bunch of JB Weld and some military grade of Eastman, I think is the name of it that could also be used. I've got the saw all apart right now, have some carb parts ordered so no hurry I guess..

There's a good chance that if I get this saw running I'll just replace the entire clutch for just $23.00. Although repairing it is an option, if it turns out to be a nice saw I'll just go ahead and spend the extra money and get a new aftermarket clutch. I priced the OEM clutches and they cost as much as the saw is worth..

There's a good chance that if I get this saw running I'll just replace the entire clutch for just $23.00. Although repairing it is an option, if it turns out to be a nice saw I'll just go ahead and spend the extra money and get a new aftermarket clutch. I priced the OEM clutches and they cost as much as the saw is worth..
The original clutch is probably 40 years old..... the aftermarket one may only last half that long!

Just got back from the garage and looked through my clutches. The closest thing I found was a nearly mint clutch from an 038. Problem is, I don't know if it'll fit an 031, 032, 041 etc. Anyone have any experience in this? The 38 is approx. the same outside diameter but I don't know about the shaft size..

Back