Stihl 031av flywheel cover removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun_slim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've looked in the manual and searched this site but can anyone help me with the trick to removing the flywheel cover. I got the top left top right and bottom screw. 2 from behind on bottom. I've even removed the pull starter assembly but it still won't budge. Help please!

I've looked in the manual and searched this site but can anyone help me with the trick to removing the flywheel cover. I got the top left top right and bottom screw. 2 from behind on bottom. I've even removed the pull starter assembly but it still won't budge. Help please!
Did you get the allen head screw on the clutch side? It is in front of the muffler. You are removing the starter gas tank assembly I assume to get to your flywheel.

I pull these 031 flywheel covers all the time as I made a pully and the best way to pull these flywheel covers. Use the screws that anchor the fan and head down to a Harbor Freight and get a $10.00 pully. Thread the screws into the flywheel and yank it out. A couple of drops of oil on the shaft will make it come off real easy...good luck!!...Sometimes the flywheel will pop off with a tap and use the weight of the saw to balance this app..

I have a flywheel puller and a piston stop so if I can get the cover off I'm pretty sure I can get the flywheel off but I can't seem to get the caver off. I assume the gastank comes with it. Since my first post I've pulled the top handle, exhaust, carb, removed the 2 screws under the carb box, the bar and cover. I can't seem to get it to come free. Any ideas?

Thanks

SUCCESS!!! I missed the allen screw in the bar area since it was plugged with wood chips and sawdust. I can photograph the removal process if anyone else is interested. Also since I've got the carb out might as well rebuild it its a walbro where can I get rebuild kits also thinking of replacing crank seals while I'm at it anybody know where I can get those??

Thanks for the help!

SUCCESS!!! I missed the allen screw in the bar area since it was plugged with wood chips and sawdust. I can photograph the removal process if anyone else is interested. Also since I've got the carb out might as well rebuild it its a walbro where can I get rebuild kits also thinking of replacing crank seals while I'm at it anybody know where I can get those??

Thanks for the help!

I was trying to do the same thing last weekend. Couldn't figure it out and didn't want to break anything. I know this is a old thread but any info or pictures would be great.

Disassembly

Even with the service manual these saws are a pia to pull apart. I almost gave up until I found a thread which flyboy illustrated the steps to pull it apart and once you do it it really doesn't take long.

It's suppossed to be a rainy weekend with the hurricane and all so I'll try to get something worked up but basically you have to pull the 3 large screws on the front. You don't have to pull the recoil assembly tho it comes off with the flywheel cover as does the gas tank.

There are 2 screws under the air box that you have to pull the rear vibe mounts and screws holding the handle to the frame. I pulled the whole top handle and cleaned it while I was at it

You have to pull the carb

I didn't pull the air box just moved it over you'll see the 2 screws I'm thinking about knotting the box so I don't have to do that next time

Also there's one screw under the chain cover. I think that's it

Let me know if you think you got all these. I picked up 2 more 031 on cl for $25 for the pair so Ill try to a picture step by step

Let me know if this helps

Darren

I just picked up two myself. Both in perfect working order and look very nice too. Just wanted to pull the covers to clean. I think I can get it from your info. Don't bother with pictures unless you board :).

Thanks for the info!

Back