stihl 036 or 038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrybare

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have these two saws and am going to sell one but I was just wondering which one to keep. I like the chain adjustment on the 036 better than the 038. 038 is slightly bigger, just wondreing if there are any other advantages of one or the other? Thanx for any input !!!!

i love both! the 038 is awesome. i miss mine! i.d rather keep it if its firewood your cuttin. little more power and torque. heavier also.

hungrybare, welcome to AS!

Which versions of each saw do you have? It makes a difference. :)

Whereabouts in Sconnie you live? I'm a LaCrosse native.

Last edited:
Thanx for the welcome and replys guys, I have the 036 and the 038AV saws, no magnums or pro. I live south of Greenbay about 15 miles. Former home of that quarterback, what was his name again? brent something or other?

Brett you heathen :) Anyway I would stick with the 036 any day. Close enough in power and much lighter newer design.. 34/036 is one of my favs. I have never really liked the 038 much.. Although the mags are impressive.

I'll give You $100 for the 036. Seriously, though keep the 036.
If the 038 was a magnum it would be a much tougher decision.

You have just joined the greatest forum but you are going to forever regret it if you sell one of those fine saws. Once you become a member here you only buy saws. Not sell.
Before I started here I thought my three saw stable, an 026, 038 ad 084 was more than anyone needed. Sadly I now have many more, and even have duplicates. I have three 026's an 024S and an 028S. And I am not going to tell you about any others in case my wife reads this. (Though now I have three different 038's I am thinking of giving my 460 to my son to go with the 066 I gave him.)
They have a name here for this disease but I am not saying it. My advice. Don't sell anything. :)

Nardoo

Thanx for the advice guys, I know what you mean by the disease. I've experienced it in other areas (muzzleloading) only had two or three, now I think it is around 15. Once you get bit by something like this it is hard to find a cure. and forums like this add fuel to the fire, isn't it great !!!

hey bare,

sell that 036. buy a magnum top end for that 038av, and read up on converting that 038av in to a 72cc magnum. :chainsaw:

or:

sell that 038av and have that 036 ported by a pro! :chainsaw:

or:

steal from the kids college fund and mod both. :chainsaw:

does that add a little fuel to the fire? :)

Last edited:
hey bare,

sell that 036. buy a magnum top end for that 038av, and read up on converting that 038av in to a 72cc magnum. :chainsaw:

or:

sell that 038av and have that 036 ported by a pro! :chainsaw:

or:

steal from the kids college fund and mod both. :chainsaw:

does that add a little fuel to the fire? :)

Yup! :clap: :clap:

As it stands, I'd let the 038 go, or find an 038 Mag setup you can borrow and cut with. Once you put the 038M in bigger hardwood, you'll be impressed. Mine is muffler modded and ported, and it's neck and neck, and perhaps a little better, than my stock MS460.

Reason I say that is you may want to install the aforementioned Mag kit in your 038, then sell the 036 and pick up an 026/261 Pro for the smaller stuff. Then all you'd need is a bigger saw, say in the 066/660 Mag class, and you'd have an evilly tough three saw plan.

Not that 3 saws is enough, but it's a START! :D :D

I was born in LaCrosse in the Lombardi era. I'll never be anything but a Packers fan.

Yup! :clap: :clap:

As it stands, I'd let the 038 go, or find an 038 Mag setup you can borrow and cut with. Once you put the 038M in bigger hardwood, you'll be impressed. Mine is muffler modded and ported, and it's neck and neck, and perhaps a little better, than my stock MS460.

Reason I say that is you may want to install the aforementioned Mag kit in your 038, then sell the 036 and pick up an 026/261 Pro for the smaller stuff. Then all you'd need is a bigger saw, say in the 066/660 Mag class, and you'd have an evilly tough three saw plan.

Not that 3 saws is enough, but it's a START! :D :D

I was born in LaCrosse in the Lombardi era. I'll never be anything but a Packers fan.

Now there are a lot of interesting possibilities there, Talk about adding fuel to the fire.
Kids are all out of school (no college fund) cause I was in my early teens in the Lombardi era

If you stay in < 20" hardwood the 036 will serve you well. If you get into bigger stuff, quite often, the 038 will be better, IF it is in good shape.

As mentioned the 038M will kick a 036 arse, and you can convert it , to that, for a P/C and a bit of work. When I go into bigger wood, my 038M (25" bar) just rips through stuff my 036 saw (20" bar) makes me "patient" with.

Now there are a lot of interesting possibilities there, Talk about adding fuel to the fire.

It's what I live for. :D :D

Kids are all out of school (no college fund) cause I was in my early teens in the Lombardi era

I was born in '61, so you've got me by a year or two. But if you feel happy hefting the 038, turn it into a Mag and get it ported and muff modded, and then take it to the Twin Cities and burn down a few rows of Vikings fans. You won't need either a long bar or a lot of torque to chop down those Queens, so you've probably got too much power, but that's pretty normal for a Packers fan. :D :D :chainsaw:

I say keep the 036. Its a more modern design saw,even though its getting old too. Parts seem to be more plentiful for the 036 then 038. Ill bet you can get more money for the 38 also. :)

I say keep the 036. Its a more modern design saw. Ill bet you can get more money for the 38 also. :)

You can get more money for the 038 because it's more saw. If it's more saw, sell the lesser saw and turn the more saw into a MAGNUM saw! :D :D

Im my experience if they are in the same shape the 036 will bring much more than the standard 038. powerwise the standard 38 doesn't have more power than the 36 but weighs much more. They both even have the same cc, bore, and stroke. Would be like an 044 with a 036 top end on it... Now like I said earlier the 38mags are great. But thats not what we are talking about here.

Some of you guys will fall out of your chair... but the 038 never impressed me much. Good saw? Yes, but not one that I would keep around. I had an 038 Super last year, and actually ran pretty well. Just seemed a bit heavy for the power that it produced. A fluke? I don' think so, it was in very good condition... just never impressed me much.
If I were you, I would hang on to the 036- but that is me. If I could only have one saw, I may go a bit bigger. I still vote to keep the 036...

Since everyone is talking about these two saws. I came across a stihl 038 AV magnum II chainsaw 20" bar and chain for $300. Is this a good deal?

Its a good deal if its in good shape.... :blob2: My daughter made me add the little guy lighting his farts on fire :)

Latest posts

Back