Stihl 036 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_42

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good evening all,
my adventures have led me to another purchase, I've settled on my small saw: Husqvarna 346XP, and my large saw: Husqvarna 394XP, but I've been at a quandry for my middle of the road saw, for those occurances when one is too big, and one is too small. Today, I picked up a used, nice condition Stihl 036 Pro and I was wondering what the pros had to say about this saw. I scored a deal at just a hair over two hundred, I think I did okay, as long as it is as it claims it is (ebay). I looked at a few of the new Stihls and Husqvarnas, but to find a Husky 357, 359, or 365; or a comparable Stihl, I was looking at substantially more. So now that I've taken the leap, what did I get, and which bar/chain works best on this saw?
Thanks in advance for the input.

If all the important stuff is in good condition you did great! If I were going to get another saw (it will happen, thanks CAD) it would be an 036/361. I think the best bar length on it would be 20". Post some pictures when you get it.

My only regret after owning a 036Pro since new is I only have one. 20" bar balances well and cuts well. 25" bar is okay but calls for some finesse. Congrats on the purchase. Ron

If your saw still has the clutch drum that uses the smaller 13mm sprocket bearing that was prone to failure, you'll probably want to upgrade it to the newer setup that takes the larger 16mm bearing. 1125-007-1041 is the Stihl part number for the upgrade kit, which includes the larger bearing, clutch drum, spacer, c-clip, and a .375 7T rim.

Here's the Stilh service bulletin that explains the change: TI_55_2000_30_01.fm

Here's a picture (courtesy of Mad Professor from the 036 clutch drum and bearing confusion thread) that shows the upgrade kit on the left, and the old style parts on the right.

179584d1302490107-clutchg-upgrade-jpg

By comparing the rim on your saw with those in the picture, you can easily tell if you're saw's already been updated. :msp_wink:

And congratulations on the nice acquisition. :cheers:

036 is a good machine. With just a little work, it can be made into a great machine. 200 bones is maybe a little steep, but, hey, that's what they're going for these days.

$200 for an 036 pro? That's cheap (assuming its in good shape)! Ebay is slow right now, its a good time to buy...:msp_tongue:

036 is a good machine. With just a little work, it can be made into a great machine. 200 bones is maybe a little steep, but, hey, that's what they're going for these days.

What are some other things to work on to make it better? Besides the clutch drum upgrade and muff mod?

To me, the 036 does not feel a lot different from the 261 as far as weight and handling goes so it is about perfect with a 20 inch bar. I have also run a 25 inch with a skip chain in hardwood and while it was no speed demon it worked OK. Mine came to me used in good shape and all it needed was a new fuel line, carb kit, and MM for about what you paid and I felt that was a decent deal. I believe that you will be very happy with that saw.

Thats a good price on a great saw. Those saws can just about do it all, and Im sure it will pay for itself quick.

What's the difference between the 036 and the Pro? The Pro's I watched videos on youtube and Pro models had compression releases... From the pics, the one I purchased does not.... I'm just curious, it seems like a good deal, but if it's not the "Pro", is it still a good deal? Did the early 036 Pro's have the compression release?

"Pro" really just means decomp and compensating carb. I guess there were some early non-pro's that had a non-adjustable oiler, but I've never owned one. The non-pro's are every bit the saw the pro's are only they have less to break. I opine that you don't need a decomp on a 60cc saw anyway. Also, I just learned that the US-built 036's have plastic starter covers and the German-built ones have Mag covers. Mine is German-built. The ones I have at work are built in VA Beach. They all run like champs.

I love my 036 Pro. I bought it last fall for $250.00. It has been very reliable for me. For the poster with the 036 pro with the K & N filter, what do you have to do to put one on?

For the poster with the 036 pro with the K & N filter, what do you have to do to put one on?

Madsen's has a V-stack that bolts on. The bottom flange of the filter is a bit wide, so you need to shave a bit of the black part of the handle to make it fit. A pocketknife worked for me. It's about a 5 minute mod.

"Pro" really just means decomp and compensating carb. I guess there were some early non-pro's that had a non-adjustable oiler, but I've never owned one. The non-pro's are every bit the saw the pro's are only they have less to break. I opine that you don't need a decomp on a 60cc saw anyway. Also, I just learned that the US-built 036's have plastic starter covers and the German-built ones have Mag covers. Mine is German-built. The ones I have at work are built in VA Beach. They all run like champs.

I agree with you regarding the decomp, and it is less to break, I was just concerned about the purchase price. I figured the Pro would go for more, and I hoped that my new purchase is truly the "Pro", but it is what it is, I'll take it...

Great saw

I have put mine (036 pro) through hell and back and it looks like it too. But it still runs like new. i bought it i think in 97
and i "stihl" love it and there is no way i would sell it for $200. So i would say you did good if it is in good working condition. :msp_thumbsup:

Jeff

Latest posts

Back