Stihl 036 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl 036 flywheel side seal

I have an 036 Pro sitting at the shop that I rebuilt for a client.....he paid me for the work quickly but did not pick up the saw..... before I could get to the bank with his check the gummint cleaned out his accounts for failure to pay certain payments that he was required to make....so it sits at my shop waiting as it has since the first of last Dec. This saw had a toasted P&C...I thought I would be able to save the cyl but after a lot of acid and rubbing it stihl had four tiny fingernail catching scratches above the Ex port. So I scrounged around Ebay and found a NOS P&C for $220.00 delivered (Bailey's wanted $340.00 plus shipping) I partially assembled the saw and did a pressure/vac test to make sure the seals were not the original issue.....the flywheel side seal was useless...couldn't even develop any vac at all!!! So here was the problem that killed this saw. For those who do not know, the flywheel side seal is a very tiny wimpy seal compared to the clutch side seal. (I replaced both). I am not a Stihl guy by any means but the saw cut good and pulled as strong as any stock pro series 60cc saw I have run and looked perhaps 90%. The bill is quite steep and if this guy can't come up with the cash by the end of the summer I am going to have him cut me a bill of sale and sell it. My only advise to the OP or any others who have these series saws....is...if they start to lean out...any..or start to run funny.....that can't be quickly traced to a fuel problem (line, filter carb kit) do a vac test and make sure the seals are good...believe me.. it will be time/money well spent.

Hi Cantdog,
I see it has been a year since your advice. I just bought an 036 pro, so am concerned just how to worry about the flywheel side seal that you mention. I'm an occasional saw user, so need a hint how I might guess that the saw is starting to 'lean out'. And how might I do a vacuum test?
Thanks,

When the saw is as old as an 036, why waste the time doing any diagnosis. The price of those seals is CHEAP! Then you'll have years of non worry sawing.

When the saw is as old as an 036, why waste the time doing any diagnosis. The price of those seals is CHEAP! Then you'll have years of non worry sawing.

Like this beat up, parted out 034 AV Super that I rebuilt and upgraded to an 036:

Best $160 that I ever spent. It will run almost dead even with my MS 361. I also added the outer bumper spike since these Pics were taken. This saw is a class act, saved from the land fill.

An 036 is 1/2lb lighter and a scosh stronger than the 361. The 361 is smoother. I prefer the 036 bc of the weight. I can manage the vibes without a problem.

I love my 036 PRO, but it's not lighter than a 361. The 361 and My 362 CM are both 12.35 lbs vs. 12.6 lbs for the 036/036 PRO

Back