Stihl 038 Case Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelderShane

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post on this awesome site. I have a Stihl 038 super that I am currently rebuilding. The crank bearings are shot so I split the case to remove them. Here's where the problem is. On the clutch side I went to remove the inner snap ring next to the bearing so I could press the bearing out. Well I managed to nick the housing area trying to remove the snap ring in a few spots where the outer seal would be at. I have the stihl seal remover so everything went perfect removing the seals but I didn't realize I nicked it until removing that snap ring. Is it to far gone. Should I replace the case. I know my manual says to replace both cases but can I just replace the one side or will I have problems with the cylinder area not being 100% flat or alignment issues. Or could I put some sealer like rtv or such on the seal when I pop in that side seal.
Thanks

015.jpg

014_1.jpg

012.jpg

Hello,
This is my first post on this awesome site. I have a Stihl 038 super that I am currently rebuilding. The crank bearings are shot so I split the case to remove them. Here's where the problem is. On the clutch side I went to remove the inner snap ring next to the bearing so I could press the bearing out. Well I managed to nick the housing area trying to remove the snap ring in a few spots where the outer seal would be at. I have the stihl seal remover so everything went perfect removing the seals but I didn't realize I nicked it until removing that snap ring. Is it to far gone. Should I replace the case. I know my manual says to replace both cases but can I just replace the one side or will I have problems with the cylinder area not being 100% flat or alignment issues. Or could I put some sealer like rtv or such on the seal when I pop in that side seal.
Thanks

015.jpg

014_1.jpg

012.jpg
Use Yamabond not silicone.

Here's a few more of the worst spot. The most outer edge wear was not from me it looks a tad bit corroded. But you can see the inner spots.

018_1.jpg

018_1.jpg

I have seen worse.
Loctite 518 or Yamabond a skin coat on the entire outer edges of the seal before you install, then wipe off the excess after its in

I've used the Gray loctite on my Mac's with great results. Can't for the life of me remember the # though.

I have some permatex Moto Seal on hand which I have used before with good results. I have never used Loctite 518. After reading about it though, it seems like the perfect thing to use in this case. How well does it does it hold to up fuel and such, I assume pretty good.

Back