Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonto13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a 038 magnum today. Missing muffler and possible schorched piston. Have not had a chance to get into it yet. Has a 24" b&c. What are some good reliable modifications I can do or have done to it. Muffler mod, Port? What else?

I picked up a 038 magnum today. Missing muffler and possible schorched piston. Have not had a chance to get into it yet. Has a 24" b&c. What are some good reliable modifications I can do or have done to it. Muffler mod, Port? What else?

Stock mufflers have sufficient outlet size so no need to MM. Sure you can port it - lots of guys do. For me, I would just use a very sharp chain and go cut wood. They are a very good saw.

Should be plenty of parts available to fix your problem. These saws respond well to muffler mods (if you feel you need it). I've owned several of them, but never had one ported. There have been threads here where it has been done. These are old generation saws but full of power. I'd say it was a great find if you are looking for a project. There is an rule here though: "if you don't post the pictures of the saw -- it never happened." :cool2:

Im hoping the cylinder is good. But have not had a chance to get into it. Just wondering if the gains are worth the cost, on the port job. My main goal is to just get it to be a good running reliable saw. This my first project saw, or one that I am going to repair myself. Mainly always had cheap saws and have finally had the opportunity to move up to a couple of decent saws. I have spent a good deal of time here lurking and reading up on things. But I do not know all and value any input or guidance offered. Will get pics as soon as I can. And main reason for picking up this saw was price and to have a second saw. And also just because of the size and power of this thing. No real great need for it, but I like things from when they were built to last. I do know have to fix the choke knob.

Do what it takes to fix it, you will not regret it. It will fast become your number 1 saw. I had one but wound up trading it off. Big mistake!

There is a possibility that may have found another one local. From what I was told it needs work also. But if I can get it for the right price I figure I would make a good parts saw. Not sure it is a magnum though. So if not , beside the cylinders being different, how many of the parts are interchangeable.

There is a possibility that may have found another one local. From what I was told it needs work also. But if I can get it for the right price I figure I would make a good parts saw. Not sure it is a magnum though. So if not , beside the cylinders being different, how many of the parts are interchangeable.

Most parts will interchange, grab it if it is cheap.

The 038 and 038S had the cylinder bolt holes spaced differently in cases.

The 038 had a smaller carb, points ignition, single port muffler, metal handle/tank assy.

There are two types of clutch setups for rim or spur sprockets

19021_zps162b668a.jpg
19020_zps8a242457.jpg
19018_zps5d25ac95.jpg
19017_zps042848b9.jpg

As you can see I have some cleaning to do and work. But first project saw. Hopefully not to bad for a first one. Where are numbers located so I can find out year made?

Most parts will interchange, grab it if it is cheap.

The 038 and 038S had the cylinder bolt holes spaced differently in cases.

The 038 had a smaller carb, points ignition, single port muffler, metal handle/tank assy.

There are two types of clutch setups for rim or spur sprockets

I think that you will find the the 038 and the 038S have the same bolt pattern of the cylinder. The 038Mag was larger.

Later
Dan

The outside appears excellent, and it should make for a great project saw! Its definitely worth making a runner out of it.:rock:

If I bought this saw I would simply concentrate on making it runner first. I believe you will find that it has sufficient power to be an ample 2nd saw. Even if you have to invest in a cylinder kit, muffler and go through the fuel system from where I sit I don't see that you were hurt in any way. These saws are old school but when the bell rings you'll be glad you came to class! :msp_w00t:

Score.
I don't know if it has been said but with the age I would also check the AV buffers. My Mag needed them pretty bad and I think it was due to contamination as they were pretty soft.

Good luck and enjoy it.

What does AV stand for, as I am ignorant as to some of these terms. I have been looking on eBay for a muffler, these had a dual port muffler correct? And from what I have read on the searchs I have done it is better to find an original cylinder versus the aftermarket ones. Also read something about a meteor piston for it being a good one. I do want to keep it as original as possible. Can someone lead me in a good direction to find the run stop switch, the black lever on left side of handle. Mine is broke. Also thank you for all the advice and compliments.

What does AV stand for, as I am ignorant as to some of these terms. I have been looking on eBay for a muffler, these had a dual port muffler correct? And from what I have read on the searchs I have done it is better to find an original cylinder versus the aftermarket ones. Also read something about a meteor piston for it being a good one. I do want to keep it as original as possible. Can someone lead me in a good direction to find the run stop switch, the black lever on left side of handle. Mine is broke. Also thank you for all the advice and compliments.

A/V is anti vibration. E is electronic ignition. Q is quickstop(chainbrake).

Rebuild the Engine

If I had bought this saw, I would simply concentrate on making it a runner first. I believe you will find that it has sufficient power to be an ample 2nd saw. Even if you have to invest in a cylinder kit, muffler and go through the fuel system from where I sit I don't see that you were hurt in any way. These saws are old school but when the bell rings you'll be glad you came to class! :msp_w00t:
My guess is that the engine must be rebuilt--new piston, rings, and cylinder. More must be done as well. Figure $200 in parts alone and $300 if you buy the parts from a Stihl dealer. Add labor in after that. That's the way it is.

Good luck.

There will not be any labor charges. I will be doing it myself. And before buying it I did look at the cost of P/C and rings. But even if I end up with 3-500 in this saw I will still be happy. Because there is no way I could touch a brand new saw of this size for that kind of money. And in the end I will know it inside and out and take pride knowing I did it myself.

Glad wiggs was out of town when i found my mag 2 for 150 bucks in his neighborhood,good all around saw from limbing to felling 36 inch trees with a 20 in bar.Wish i had a truck load of mag 2 s

Back