Stihl 041 ignition questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow up: I tried an RK-23HS kit (the one with the notch for the metering lever). Saw still fell on its face at high rpm. So I ordered points, condenser, and points cover. Put them on today. PITA to set the points gap with that flywheel configuration, btw.

Put it all back together & it ran much better, but was still running rich. Put the diaphragm from the RK21-HS back in it, and she runs great now.

Since I know you guys like pics:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ive been real happy with both my farmboss 041 never ran the av model but I'm sure it's a little less vibration.

Oh wow that's super clean both mine looked like they had been banged around d in the back of a truck for a few years.

You appeared to have the wrong diaphragm for the carburetor you had. When it has the forked metering lever it needs the diaphragm that hooks to it, yours would ride on top of it instead, might not make a difference but then again it might..

Hey don't mean to hi jack your thread but I just got an 041 farm boss myself, it too seems to have erratic spark. As far I know it hasn't been messed with my stihl dealer shows only point and condensor is there a way to tell without pulling flywheel and physically looking. If it's point or electronic? Thanks

Hey don't mean to hi jack your thread but I just got an 041 farm boss myself, it too seems to have erratic spark. As far I know it hasn't been messed with my stihl dealer shows only point and condensor is there a way to tell without pulling flywheel and physically looking. If it's point or electronic? Thanks
It will say on the A/F cover if it 's electronic or not. If it was mine I would prefer points, easier to start.

It doesn't say electronic which is why I figured it was points, but the stihl tags on the recoil look pretty late model not like the old stump logo

Ya I think after reading all the conversion issues I'll leave it points my stihl.dealer says there still availible new,$40 but I only paid $40 for the whole saw and it's real nice shape. I've never converted a stihl lot of homelite always had good luck but seems like stihl are hit or miss

You can always replace the condenser if bad with that WIMA capacitor. I've done it a few times and it works well. I don't remember if the 041 has windows in the flywheel to adjust the points or not but if it does you don't need a Stihl dealer, just stick your gap gauge through the window to adjust the points. It worked okay on my 031.

Yep--it has the windows in the flywheel. A little different than most other saws. To properly clean the points, it will still be best to take the flywheel off.

There should be a plastic cover over the points, beneath the flywheel anyway. If there still is, you'll have to pull the flywheel no matter what.

If you're not comfortable with the "screwdriver and hammer" method of flywheel removal, the actual flywheel puller isn't expensive and works really well. I don't think I paid more than $10 or $12 for it.

Here's one (that looks more versatile than mine) and is $8: https://www.ebay.com/itm/221833254410

What I've done is hold the saw just a smidgen off the table by the flywheel and have a buddy give the crank end a whack with a brass punch. I know it isn't the best but it does work in a pinch. But I'm going to get the tool as I have an 056 to do also.

Latest posts

Back