Stihl 041 Super - Pawn Shop Rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Techstudent

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I rescued this old beast from a pawn shop yesterday. I bought a new 261 last fall and I was reluctant to buy this thing since, it seems, certain parts are unobtainable. I didn't need it and will not likely use it much but these old school Stihl saws, while heavy, seem very well made and indestructible. She's probably a bit cantankerous but I use an old school, carbureted, Jiffy Ice auger that doesn't quit and I often see people dragging the newer plastic stuff in for repairs.

Based on the condition, it seems to have had a relatively easy life. Has good compression and fired right up. The chain does run continuously which I gather is due to the idle screw setting.

I was looking through the forum and I guess some parts are very difficult to find. What parts should I be looking out for If I would like to keep this monster going? I don't work on saws but thought of maybe replacing plug, filter, fluids, etc.

Wondering if it wouldn't be worth having the local dealer mechanic go through it?

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1994.JPG
    IMG_1994.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 112
Wow! She is a beauty! You could have it gone through. Most that could be bad is fuel line and carb, but that doesn't sound like that is the case though. Tune and it should be good to go. Congratulations on the find!

I rescued this old beast from a pawn shop yesterday. I bought a new 261 last fall and I was reluctant to buy this thing since, it seems, certain parts are unobtainable. I didn't need it and will not likely use it much but these old school Stihl saws, while heavy, seem very well made and indestructible. She's probably a bit cantankerous but I use an old school, carbureted, Jiffy Ice auger that doesn't quit and I often see people dragging the newer plastic stuff in for repairs.

Based on the condition, it seems to have had a relatively easy life. Has good compression and fired right up. The chain does run continuously which I gather is due to the idle screw setting.

I was looking through the forum and I guess some parts are very difficult to find. What parts should I be looking out for If I would like to keep this monster going? I don't work on saws but thought of maybe replacing plug, filter, fluids, etc.

Wondering if it wouldn't be worth having the local dealer mechanic go through it?

Paul
Some kid stole that from his grandfather.pawned it[emoji1]

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Some kid stole that from his grandfather.pawned it[emoji1]

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Yes, i'm cognizant that it's a possibility so I don't, often, purchase from pawns. Occasionally a dvd, socket or wrench, if i'm working on my vehicle, and in the interest of recycling. Seems to me, a lot of the stuff is well worn and they ask more for it than when it's new.

The shops usually have contact info on the buyer and seller so, if someone is looking for it, I'll gladly hand it over!

Couldn't leave the oldtimer sitting there unloved though. :heart:

Yes, i'm cognizant that it's a possibility so I don't, often, purchase from pawns. Occasionally a dvd, socket or wrench, if i'm working on my vehicle, and in the interest of recycling. Seems to me, a lot of the stuff is well worn and they ask more for it than when it's new.

The shops usually have contact info on the buyer and seller so, if someone is looking for it, I'll gladly hand it over!

Couldn't leave the oldtimer sitting there unloved though. :heart:

Don't blame you I couldn't leave it if I saw one either! Favorite saw right there

The only part you will have difficulty finding is the Cylinder. There is some possibility that you could have a hard time finding ignition parts. All other parts should be readily available at a dealer or on eBay. It doesn't look like you will need to find parts though. This is one of those things that you will probably not want to use. There are people on this forum who have restored these saws to appear in that condition, but this one is in original condition, and those are rare. Using it will undo that condition.

An 041 Super in that condition will fetch top dollar on eBay or decorate a shelf nicely.

I appreciate the, info, compliments and responses!

Never really thought about it in a 'collectibility' sense. Probably, like many of you, I just like quality old stuff and nostalgia.

These old "finds" are fun but I rarely come across them!

Yep, it's currently sitting, toasty warm, inside my apartment. Had her on the kitchen table when I got it home! :heart:

Attachments

• 20170330_194616.jpg
    20170330_194616.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 30
If you're not looking to be a collector, there's one on my local CL in similar condition for $275. Food for thought.

There's a trading post on here, too, though your buyer would feel more comfortable with pics of the exhaust side of the piston & a pressure/vacuum test.

Latest posts

Back