• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold STIHL 044 10 MM PHO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkeev

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
iI HAVE A 044 WITH A 10 MM WRIST PIN . I BOUGHT THIS FROM A LOCALSTIHL DEALER THAT STARTED TO REBUILD IT AND THE OWNER CHANGED HIS MIND AND BOUGHT A NEW SAW . THEY INSTALLED NEW BEARINGS AND SEALS . WHEN I GOT IT I CLEANED UP THE CYLINDER AND PUT IN A METEOR PISTON AND REBUILT THE CARB. IT WOULD MAKE SOMEONE A GOOD WORK SAW ITS NO BEAUTY QUEEN . THE AIR FILTER COVER AND BASE HAD A FEW CRACKS THAT I WELDED WITH MY SOLDERING IRON . ALSO THE RIGHT SIDE CYLINDER COVER MOUNT TAB IS BROKE . THE COMP. IS 165 LBS. AND IT RUNS VERY STRONG . I'M ASKING 350.00 PLUS SHIPPING . I WILL TAKE PAY PALL AS A GIFT OR A USPS MONEY ORDER .

Attachments

• DSCF1618.JPG
    DSCF1618.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCF1619.JPG
    DSCF1619.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCF1621.JPG
    DSCF1621.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF1622.JPG
    DSCF1622.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCF1623.JPG
    DSCF1623.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF1624.JPG
    DSCF1624.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF1625.JPG
    DSCF1625.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCF1626.JPG
    DSCF1626.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 351
Yep ever since I stupidly got rid of mine I'm regretting it every day. Sounds like a heck of a deal

Your not broke I just gave you 50 bucks :chainsaw:
I spent it already. :laugh:

And I have a project 044 that I've commited to building. It will probably cost me more in the long run than just buying one already running... I still need a few more parts... :)
image-jpg.360716

I have heard that Meteor is the best after market, but have never heard it is better than OEM.

In fact, I think some of the builders will only work on OEM.

Perhaps I am wrong, but that is what I have heard.

I have heard that Meteor is the best after market, but have never heard it is better than OEM.

In fact, I think some of the builders will only work on OEM.

Perhaps I am wrong, but that is what I have heard.
I believe most builders prefer OEM cylinders...

Mastermind just did my 064 and he used the Meteor piston I sent him. I think Meteor is the only piston that compares to OEM in quality, although it is much cheaper.

Meteor has a good reputation... they do not make everything perfect.... that said, the pistons are pretty reliable as far as dimensions go and consistently good. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Meteor piston in any application. Hyway is a new company, good quality as is some of the Mako line... any of those three are a pretty good buy as far as price goes also. I've had no returns in any of those makes because of bad quality or workmanship in a piston.

Cylinders from OEM makers are chrome... nikasil is the new standard. If OEM were that good, there would be no aftermarket makers. More people use OEM because that's what saws are sold with... if Hyway provided the OEM parts, they would be the OEM standard.

Brad hates anything aftermarket. He did a test of a Meteor 046 kit against the OEM 046 and concluded it was in deed a very good kit producing numbers indicative of the early Stihl 046 saw. Its a preference, nothing more.

Randy loves Hyway, Meteor, Mako and anything that has reliable numbers and plating... shows me he's trying to save you a little money and he stands behind those kits as if it were OEM... no difference. There are some he won't use because he's done some extensive testing... he's trying to improve the market.

Evolution requires change or you become obsolete and die!

Thank you for the information, although I think the # 1 reason people don't always use OEM is price.

That said, I have ordered several items though you and appreciate your reasonable prices, and have no complaints with the quality of the items I have ordered.

Your free shipping on many items is also a nice feature.

Meteor has a good reputation... they do not make everything perfect.... that said, the pistons are pretty reliable as far as dimensions go and consistently good. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Meteor piston in any application. Hyway is a new company, good quality as is some of the Mako line... any of those three are a pretty good buy as far as price goes also. I've had no returns in any of those makes because of bad quality or workmanship in a piston.

Cylinders from OEM makers are chrome... nikasil is the new standard. If OEM were that good, there would be no aftermarket makers. More people use OEM because that's what saws are sold with... if Hyway provided the OEM parts, they would be the OEM standard.

Brad hates anything aftermarket. He did a test of a Meteor 046 kit against the OEM 046 and concluded it was in deed a very good kit producing numbers indicative of the early Stihl 046 saw. Its a preference, nothing more.

Randy loves Hyway, Meteor, Mako and anything that has reliable numbers and plating... shows me he's trying to save you a little money and he stands behind those kits as if it were OEM... no difference. There are some he won't use because he's done some extensive testing... he's trying to improve the market.

Evolution requires change or you become obsolete and die!
It's my understanding that most, if not all OEM pro grade cylinders are NiSi. Most people use OEM because it's known to be of good quality and is much more consistent that most AM parts. The 046 kit made good power stock, but did not do as well once modded. If I'm going to mod a saw for someone, I'm not going to start with parts that may or may not give the best results. It's not worth the risks as a builder. If you're an end user looking to save a few bucks, that's a different story. My biggest concern is the quality of AM pistons. I'll using nothing but Meteor or OEM. Meteor pistons are great.

Randy and Henry offer fantastic alternatives to OEM and really try to offer the 'better' kits that they have tested and had feedback from. The average Joe seeking AM p&c's may run into trouble as far as quality goes but the folks at weedeaterman pride themselves on offering AM parts that have been selected based on quality not just price. l have seen for myself that Randy will stop selling kits if they don't meet his standards. Like Brad said, its hard to beat the consistancy of OEM, but for a guy that wants to get a saw up and running at a sensible price these guys are often your best bet. lt would be interesting to know how many saws these guys have saved from landfill. l am sure glad they are an AS sponser and so are may others.

Randy and Henry offer fantastic alternatives to OEM and really try to offer the 'better' kits that they have tested and had feedback from. The average Joe seeking AM p&c's may run into trouble as far as quality goes but the folks at weedeaterman pride themselves on offering AM parts that have been selected based on quality not just price. l have seen for myself that Randy will stop selling kits if they don't meet his standards. Like Brad said, its hard to beat the consistancy of OEM, but for a guy that wants to get a saw up and running at a sensible price these guys are often your best bet. lt would be interesting to know how many saws these guys have saved from landfill. l am sure glad they are an AS sponser and so are may others.

Amen...

And on that note.. No one has bought this saw yet?

Really? It's not super clean, but a good running early 044?

A saw is just a tool, use this one as it should be used.

Back