Stihl 044 28 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80series

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,I have a Stihl 044 currently running a 20 inch bar. I saw a large variety of wood for firewood. Mostly gathered from a local river. Can be from 6 inches to over 2 feet diameter. Just interested in peoples thoughts on a 28 inch bar on the 044. It's not the wood size as to why I'm thinking of going longer but reach is much better! My knees and back are getting a bit over kneeling and bending! Would the 044 run the 28 inch ok? Thank you

Firewood from a local river in NZ usually equals Gopher wood..... Willow.
044 will handle a 28" 3/8 full compliment chain no problems at all in that stuff and most other likely river species like Poplars or Birches- might be a wee tad much for old man Pine and Macrocarpa- but you are cutting firewood, not production falling- so take it slow and chains sharp.
Semi chisel chain might be an idea if the wood has been in the river and carrying silt in the bark- flood debris, or machine dragged to where you are cutting it.

Firewood from a local river in NZ usually equals Gopher wood..... Willow.
044 will handle a 28" 3/8 full compliment chain no problems at all in that stuff and most other likely river species like Poplars or Birches- might be a wee tad much for old man Pine and Macrocarpa- but you are cutting firewood, not production falling- so take it slow and chains sharp.
Semi chisel chain might be an idea if the wood has been in the river and carrying silt in the bark- flood debris, or machine dragged to where you are cutting it.
Hi, Thanks for that. Yes a lot of willow and Poplar plus the odd bit of other species. Depends on the river too as to what grows in the headwaters! Looking forward to getting out after these floods!

Hello,I have a Stihl 044 currently running a 20 inch bar. I saw a large variety of wood for firewood. Mostly gathered from a local river. Can be from 6 inches to over 2 feet diameter. Just interested in peoples thoughts on a 28 inch bar on the 044. It's not the wood size as to why I'm thinking of going longer but reach is much better! My knees and back are getting a bit over kneeling and bending! Would the 044 run the 28 inch ok? Thank you
I’m a tall guy at 6’5”, and love the reach of longer bars more than I dislike the added weight. My 044 runs a 28 incher, with full comp chain, no problem! Obviously there might be exceptions, but generally, and always with a sharp chain, the fabled 044 will take care of business!

I've ran an 044 Stihl for years.have 3 different bars for mine.18.24.and 36.it will handle any of those.its all in the tuning and what power used in cutting.the larger saws are all overpowered from the factory the larger the bar or chain the finer you have to sharpen correctly.ive

In sharpening correctly or not
You will get into the kickback zone a dangerous situation. The larger the saw the more apt to kick back.youll know your saw is too big your bar ha

You will get into the kickback zone a dangerous situation. The larger the saw the more apt to kick back.youll know your saw is too big your bar ha
S too many teeth or not sharpened correctly.you really anly need a bar-chain 2 inches2 inches longer than half the width of the tree diameter of the tree you are working on.the longer the bar the more problems your apt to run into. Also a sharp saw run best safest at abot half power.better controller lessikely to kick back if you use larger saws and it kicks back it could take your leg off a lot to consider especially when climbing the canopy.

S too many teeth or not sharpened correctly.you really anly need a bar-chain 2 inches2 inches longer than half the width of the tree diameter of the tree you are working on.the longer the bar the more problems your apt to run into. Also a sharp saw run best safest at abot half power.better controller lessikely to kick back if you use larger saws and it kicks back it could take your leg off a lot to consider especially when climbing the canopy.
LOL, and a 9mm will blow the lungs out :laugh:

Hi, Thanks for that. Yes a lot of willow and Poplar plus the odd bit of other species. Depends on the river too as to what grows in the headwaters! Looking forward to getting out after these floods!
In those woods it should do fine if you can sharpen well.
As was said, I'd run a skip chain as there will be few cutters to sharpen.

Exactly.
It's American humor, it may not have translated well :lol:.
https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-says-9mm-bullet-blows-lung-out-body-1711551

I dunno, I found a lot of the a lot of the recent above difficult to comprehend and agree with- apart from the sharp chain bits.
Somewhat confusing and conflicting advice for a guy wanting to throw a 28" bar on and old 044 for a bit of extra reach and go get some wood.

But I guess anyone claiming 9 X 19mm can remove organs didn't ask anyone in law enforcement that has tried to put down an advancing threat that is under the influence of illegal substances. :rolleyes:

I dunno, I found a lot of the a lot of the recent above difficult to comprehend and agree with- apart from the sharp chain bits.
Somewhat confusing and conflicting advice for a guy wanting to throw a 28" bar on and old 044 for a bit of extra reach and go get some wood.

But I guess anyone claiming 9 X 19mm can remove organs didn't ask anyone in law enforcement that has tried to put down an advancing threat that is under the influence of illegal substances. :rolleyes:
Agree, some info above is confusing.
A stock 044 with a 28 will do fine if the chain is tuned well, even in very hard wood as long as the chain is skip.

Joe has no idea where he's at, let alone what a 9mm will do, he shouldn't be running his own household. Everyone knows he's not pulling the strings here in this country, but we all know his strings are being pulled by those who are in power.
I know good and well what a 9 does, even if it's "just" ball ammo, but the lungs clear out of the body 😏, what an idiot.

Back