Stihl 044 BB.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I got myself a Stihl 044 10mm saw, the PO stated he had it rebuilt then suffered failure.
The PO said it had a new p/c, fuel lines, intake boot. I tore it down to find it had an AM c/p and the cyl was toast with big gouge marks on the transfer port bridges, I cleaned up the gouges and was going to run it as the area above the ports was fine. Then I got to thinking what about a 046bb, I did some digging and reading and decided on a AM 046 54mm cylinder and I have also replaced the crank with a 046 12mm item. I will be using Caber rings and OEM bearings and seals with OEM piston pin clips.
I have done some porting work to the cylinder like widening and cleaning up the ports, I have machined down the sides of the base and clearanced the transfers along doing the cyl bolt holes (used the 044 base gasket and filed to suit) I have a duel port muffler on the way and I have not cut the top plastic but rather cut clearance from the cyl, I had a good look at the 044 cyl and matched that.
I have found the coating on the cylinder very good with regard to the coating not chipping off when I have worked on it, I would go with a OEM 046 (used or otherwise) cylinder but they are prohibitively expensive here in New Zealand. I have found the transfers on the cyl to be quite a bit larger than the stock (AM) 044 cylinder.
I have fitted a AM c/p to my MS260 along with mild porting, compression increase (190 psi) and MM and have put quite a few tankfuls through it and it is still going strong.
I have bought for my father a Husqvarna 51 that needs a new c/p so have bought a AM 46mm c/p for it, I will MM it along with porting, squish checking, compression increase etc.
The picture is of the AM 046 cylinder showing the transfers and my attempt at porting (note I haven't finished it yet) :).20170128_084138[1].jpg

Back