Stihl 044 chain saw problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0858

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a Stihl 044 I have been using for a couple years. Power is starting to go, and it is bogging down a little. I did a compression test on it and it is holding 125 psi with three to four pulls. I have not pulled the muffler to see if there was any piston scaring. I am a pretty good auto mechanic, but have no experience with these two cycle engines. My question is how hard is it to rebuild this Stihl 044 with a new piston possibly a totally new jug. I would like to hot rod it, and put the largest piston jug assembly and a modified muffler in it to get as much power as possible. Not sure how much the Stihl dealer would charge, but I am sure it is not cheap. I plan on getting my parts off ebay if I can. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated

Plenty of info here. Use the search feature. Take weeks to read it all.:givebeer:

By the way, welcome to AS.

The biggest P&C you can easily put on that frame is from the 046 orMS460. A new 044/ ms440 P&C with a good woods porting job and muffler mod will put a smile on your face. I would do a complete rebuild on that saw and it would be good for another 1500-2000 hours of run time. I myself have done over 20 of them in the last 2 years.
Pioneerguy600

A rebuild is easy enough to do and there is plenty of info on here to go on if you search or ask questions. You may just end up needing a new piston. If it is aluminum transfer on the jug it can be saved, scored through the plating, toast. Also do A LOT of reading on porting and muffler modding if you want to beef it up. There are also aftermarket big bore kits available. The 440bb should fit if you have a 12mm wrist pin. It is 77ccs. Also with some extra work a 460bb can be fitted. It is 83ccs. If you plan to go oem the 460 top end can be put on with about the same amount of work as the 460bb. the BB kits run about $130, oem more like double that.

i say 046/460 big bore ported. alittle more work but probly well worth it

Does your compression tester have a shraeder valve at the tip? If not, it is no good for small engines. The hose volume is about the same as the cylinder volume.

3-4 pull may not be enough, especially if the throttle was closed.

Is your carb set properly? Is your spark arrestor screen clean? Are your filters new? Is your gas new? Is your fuel line good? Ethanol is killing everything.

whats the serial number. if its an early 044 you are saddled with the 50mm bore no upgradeing it and parts are kinda scarce though you can still get a oem piston.

if its 12mm watch ebay.
i watch 046/460 stuff and i may pull the trigger on a Piston and cylinder tommorrow. and turn my 440 into one of the lightest weight 75cc saws around

Unless you cut 40-50 cords per year with the saw you have something else going wrong to cause that problem. Your saw is running lean somehow if it's an air leak because of a seal leaking or rubber lines cracked. Before you go on ebay and spend alot of money figure out why this happened.

By the way.... Welcome to the site.

serial number is 135028000

whats the serial number. if its an early 044 you are saddled with the 50mm bore no upgradeing it and parts are kinda scarce though you can still get a oem piston.

if its 12mm watch ebay.
i watch 046/460 stuff and i may pull the trigger on a Piston and cylinder tommorrow. and turn my 440 into one of the lightest weight 75cc saws around

Yes it has the shraeder pressure release valve at the top of the valve. after 6 pulls compression is the same

Does your compression tester have a shraeder valve at the tip? If not, it is no good for small engines. The hose volume is about the same as the cylinder volume.

3-4 pull may not be enough, especially if the throttle was closed.

Is your carb set properly? Is your spark arrestor screen clean? Are your filters new? Is your gas new? Is your fuel line good? Ethanol is killing everything.

it needs to have a valve at the very tip of the hose...the part that screws into the spark plug hole.

its a 12mm saw so your good to go.

pull the muffler cover first thing and see what the piston looks like.

No I dont have one of those. Is the gague Im using underestimating the compression?

if its 12mm watch ebay.

it needs to have a valve at the very tip of the hose...the part that screws into the spark plug hole.

No I dont have one of those. Is the gague Im using underestimating the compression?

Yes. By quite a bit. The hose on the compression tester has some volume to it....maybe 25cc's just to throw out a number. If your saw is 75 cc's your only going to get 3/4 of the real compression number. It is critical to get a compression tester with the valve at the tip of the hose for small engines.

yes you can fit the big bore 460 on the 044. but it takes quite abit of work to get it doen.

044/440 big bore will bolt straight on.

Thanks so much, I never knew that. So probably my saw has higher compression than I think. It pays to get advice from knowledgeable people. Thanks again.

Yes. By quite a bit. The hose on the compression tester has some volume to it....maybe 25cc's just to throw out a number. If your saw is 75 cc's your only going to get 3/4 of the real compression number. It is critical to get a compression tester with the valve at the tip of the hose for small engines.

Wow, im a little worried about my ability to do it now. How much work would it be for someone who has NEVER worked on a chainsaw or small engine before?
yes you can fit the big bore 460 on the 044. but it takes quite abit of work to get it doen.

044/440 big bore will bolt straight on.

Back