Stihl 044 cylinder bored out to 52mm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Sawyer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got the saw off craigslist and am going thru it to either keep or sell, checked the piston thru the exhaust and saw it was aftermarket (large arrow pointing to exhaust) so I took the cylinder off...the transfer windows looked a little strange like someone had ported them, as it turn outs someone had the cylinder bored out to 52mm and used a 046 piston. Looks to me like it was re-plated after that. Obviously less metal on the bridges between the transfer windows, decent job with chamfer.

Anybody try this before? How does it compare in performance to the usual hybrid when using a stock 046/460 jug? It certainly sounded stout when idling and accelerated good but I didn't cut with it yet.

99% sure the cylinder is OEM and it says 50zn... at the base and 1128 at the top, though doesn't say Stihl at the top like they usually do. Its a 2000 model year so late model 044 with slant fin no decomp.

Right now plan is to vac/pressure test and put back with an extra 046 Meteor piston I have lying around and go cutting

Attachments

• IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
Wow if mine is AM kind of disappointing, they must be getting pretty good at making it look closer to OEM, i was thrown off since at the base it says 50ZN.... and on top of the cylinder at the top right it has that more shiny smudge, just like my OEM slant fins, not sure what that mark is anyway. But then the top is missing the Stihl badge and the top middle flat round section usually has an "A" or "B" inside a circle stamped there...sometimes its not centered though.

It is very unlikely that anybody will go to the trouble of boring a cylinder and then having it replated on a chainsaw. Most likely as already mentioned it is a after market part or kit. It sounds like a good performer to me, use it until it rattles. Thanks

Back