Stihl 044 rebuild,part numbers req.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe Im stating the obvious, but the cylinder with the straight fins and larger transfer port windows are better?

I typed in every thing I could think of and the search came up with lots of good info but not the cut away cylinders. I read posts for hours and finally got too sleepy to continue. Glad you saved me another night of searching, really interesting porting on those cylinders, they don`t look like mine. Are the both of them stock, with out anyone porting them? Pioneerguy600

yes, both were stock.

IMG_2029.jpg

There is a little piece of the case missing ,lower right corner in the pict. It is not in a critical stress or structural area so I will clean it out good and degrease it well and fill it with Devcon. The hole will require a backer piece donated from another chainsaw case as it is only hollow behind the area to be fixed but does not interfere with the cavity for the AV mount. We will see how it turns out and post pics.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2029.jpg

There is a little piece of the case missing ,lower right corner in the pict. It is not in a critical stress or structural area so I will clean it out good and degrease it well and fill it with Devcon. The hole will require a backer piece donated from another chainsaw case as it is only hollow behind the area to be fixed but does not interfere with the cavity for the AV mount. We will see how it turns out and post pics.
IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

Hole in case repaired , case sanded ,degreased and etch primed. Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Just another bump to say that I finally got the bearings today for the 044. This time around I ordered in 4 sets of bearings and never expected it to take this long for them to arrive,good thing I packed the saw parts away in a securely taped shut box. I also have a new OEM piston and rings with 12 mm pin but I am tempted to install a new Meteor piston and rings to give them a try out and see how they actually fit and run. Guess it couldn`t hurt and if I am not satisfied I can always change it out. Now to find time to work on this saw, may be Sunday afternoon if things quiet down. Will update as time permits.

Pioneerguy600

Can not wait to see how it all turn out. Great thread.

Adam

Thanks Adam; I will follow your rebuild also, I really like the Husky 266 and 372 and have a cutting buddy that is a dyed in the wool Husky fanatic and help him work on his collection of husky`s when required. I found him a 181 a few weeks back and he is on cloud nine now and has stripped the saw down to the point where only the cases and P&C are left together, he`s washed and cleaned it till it shines and now has it reassembled and running A1.
Pioneerguy600

Not much happening with the 044 today as all the parts I have on hand are cleaned up and still awaiting bearings and the piston. The flywheel side bearings are the holdup and are a dealer only part around here. I have ordered more than one set this time around and have six of the clutch side bearings on hand with lots of seals and gaskets on hand as well.So I will post picts of my favorite belt buckles instead of parts picts.

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

Id really like to by that third buckle down you have there. with the chain around it :)
-ac

Latest posts

Back