Stihl 046 Magnum Plus - what does the Plus mean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barn-Builder

Barn-Builder

Brand new to the site and joined because almost all my Google searches brought me back to this forum. Loads of information here, and I searched as many ways as I could think of, but no luck.

Bought the subject saw back around 2000 off eBay. It came out of Canada and the seller said this was a saw that was used mainly for felling in Canada's forestry work. He said they bought the saws and used them for only a few months (then got new ones) and made a big point of this saw being more potent than a standard 046 Magnum. He also said something about double ported (muffler?)... Besides the 046 and Magnum stickers up top, there is a mostly worn away "Plus" sticker (you can still tell that is what it says) on the air filter cover.

I used the saw very little but kept it running, and, well I'm at the age and body ability, that I can't really run this saw. So I'm going to sell it, but I do not want to misrepresent what it is. Interestingly, there is a large "+" stamped at the beginning of the serial number. I'm stumped (so to speak) so if any of you Stihl experts here can lend some expertise, I would be very appreciative.

The Serial Number on the saw is: "+148754348"

Thanks in advance for any help...

Barn-Builder

Barn-Builder

Let's see if I can get these pictures to load... I hadn't seen the Plus symbol on a serial number before, but then again I haven't seen many serial numbers. But the Plus sticker on the top rear of the air cleaner cover - means...? It has a wrap handle is this called a Full Wrap or 3/4 Wrap? Thanks again...IMG_20191205_130411731.jpg IMG_20191212_155404488.jpg

Barn-Builder

Barn-Builder

So after talking with Stihl USA, they agree that the Plus symbol has to do with pressure. I'm thinking this isn't a saw that needed extra inspection, it is a saw that was Factory Built for High Compression. Sorry, but between the sticker "Plus" and the + on the S/N, and the 2 different inputs saying the "+" had to do with Pressure; I'm going with my saw came from the factory as a high compression saw...

And it runs like a scalded ape...

r black

r black

STIHLAHUSQYLOVER
. AS Supporting Member.
So after talking with Stihl USA, they agree that the Plus symbol has to do with pressure. I'm thinking this isn't a saw that needed extra inspection, it is a saw that was Factory Built for High Compression. Sorry, but between the sticker "Plus" and the + on the S/N, and the 2 different inputs saying the "+" had to do with Pressure; I'm going with my saw came from the factory as a high compression saw...

And it runs like a scalded ape...
well if it runs well, clean it and take care of it, i would love to have a solid 046..............

Latest posts