Stihl 056 strange fuel issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillysWheeler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a little trouble getting the saw to start if you have it sitting flat on the floor/ground, or hold it in the same position it is hard to start. If you tilt the saw over on it's side maybe 10 degrees it starts easy. Once you have it running in the upright position it tries to die, or if you hold the throttle it surges up and down. Get it leaning over slightly it is runs like a champ. I wanted to get the experts opinion, any insight would be appreciated. I have cut a few logs up with it and it pulls and runs great so long as you can have the saw leaning. My first guess is a fuel line in the tank, but before I run after parts I figured I would find out if this could be something else. Any ideas?

A vacuum test is something I havent tried out yet. I guess I will have to look into that. Are thise seals available still for crankshaft?

When I work on any saw and I start having issues with that saw it goes on the shelf untill it gets a complete overhaul or a full check over. That is why I have a dozen saws so when one acts up I have several back up saws. I have two 056's and like them very much. Yes it does sound like the fuel pickup may have a crack in it. If the saw is used when it is not running 100% there will likely be damage in some form. Thanks

Back