Stihl 064 Oily Wet Clutch Drum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99busa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can't seem to find why my 064 clutch won't stay dry. After a few hours of cutting the clutch area is very gunked up. I can't find any oil pump to case leaks, i have new crank seals, that pressure/vacuum test good. The oil pump lines are good, but even with cleaning it, and then just 5 minutes of cutting, the clutch drum and shoes are soaking wet with oily slime. The clutch cover is intact and seems to seal well. Any ideas?? Shouldn't this area stay bone dry except for the dry sawdust?? Thanks in advance.

As long as you are sure its not leaking anywhere the next thing I would check is the bar. Make sure the bar rail is clean and the oil holes are clean. What I mean is make sure the oil is going down the bar and not just running all over the place. If all is good I wouldnt be to worried, there is gonna be some oil back there its not gonna stay dry completely. Also maybe you are just oiling to much and need to turn it down a bit.All of my saws get a gunked up with oil and saw dust it does not take long either!

This area will not stay dry nor is it supposed to. It just depends on how much oil is being pumped out here. Are the seals good on the oil pump itself? Are the oil holes in the bar and the groove clean of excessive sawdust & dirt so the oil can flow easily? Are the guide plates fitting tight against the crankcase and the clutch cover? These plates help form a good seal. I can see if something is missing, warped, or worn badly that the bar oil would seep out into the clutch area instead of being pulled around the bar by the chain. Is the oiler turned up too high?

my saws get gunked up too after a few minutes of cutting. The saw chips arent really dry either, they are covered in pitch and water. Plus you have alot of bar oil thats on them from the bar. Its pretty normal to have this area get very gunked up very quickly because thats the area thats coming into contact with all of the chips that come off the chain. Unless your brake starts to slip, or the clutch isnt working properly then you really dont have any problems. Just clean it up after your finished using it and dont worry about it.

Back