Stihl 08S...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Good friend of mine just picked up an old 08S last week for 25 bucks.

I helped him work on it and we found a few problems.

1. No spark
2. No governor

Other than that it seemed sound.

He got it to spark by cleaning up the ignition, as far as the goveror rod being missing, he isnt concerned.

What can anyone tell me about this saw?

What HP, what years, what CID...any parts still available?

He is going to try and fire it when he finds the right plug for it...After a few hours of Web searching I found that it has it's own special plug.

Get used to this site. Bookmark it.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1b34cb7aefe58c2f88256ba200160833?OpenDocument

Parts will be tough. IF they're still available through a dealer it'll cost ya. Ebay, or one of the parts dealers here would be your best bet.

Alot of older saws don't have hp numbers available. I've searched and searched, but can't find published humbers for the 056. They gave Q numbers back then.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Get used to this site. Bookmark it.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1b34cb7aefe58c2f88256ba200160833?OpenDocument

Parts will be tough. IF they're still available through a dealer it'll cost ya. Ebay, or one of the parts dealers here would be your best bet.

Alot of older saws don't have hp numbers available. I've searched and searched, but can't find published humbers for the 056. They gave Q numbers back then.

Actually, most of the parts are available. The saw is still made in Brazil, and the basic engine was used in the TS350/360 concrete cut off saws until 1999.

Anyone care to explain the "Governor" on this saw?

Is it important? What is the point? Just rev it up and dig in!

The oldest versions use a "wind vane". As the air velocity from the fan-wheel increases, it closes the choke to en-richen the mixture. Later versions used the Tilotson Carb from the concrete cut-off saws with a "control valve" - basically a spring-loaded ball-bearing that dumped fuel (rich mixture) based on engine vibration (RPM).

The parts should be easy to come by, as previously stated it is the same basic engine as the TS-350 cutoff saw - there are tons of these in boneyards due to the extreme conditions they operate in (concrete dust).

The 08s has a very long stroke to bore ratio. This (among other things) gives it tremendous torque, but not much interest in revving way up.

Back