Stihl 250 or Dolmar 540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside, you are absolutely right about it not being the biggest or most expensive. Although I did not know about the return policy. Back when I bought it I probably would have, knowing that. Now though after removing the screen, it's a keeper. It's just that the throttle response isn't that great. It's more like a slow build up of power, rather than an instant response. That can get frustrating at times, when in the thick stuff but no regrets about that purchase. Like I said, it has never let me down, has alway started easy and is always ready to work. As a matter of fact I always wear out before it does. Wasn't trying to bash Stihl at all, just telling the truth about my FS55. Elmore, don't think I'll be needing one for a long time. It's a good piece of equipment, just has a goofy power band for a weed wip.

I have a Stihl MS250 with an 18" bar. and I spent all morning with it this weekend clearing up a downed tree from a thunderstorm we had come through. I spent more time moving limbs than I did cutting with the saw. It is a fine chainsaw for what I need it for, the occasional downed tree in the yard. I probably could have gotten by with a 170 or 180, but I wanted and could afford something a little larger. I would not be afraid of putting it to some light firewood duty, but if I depended on firewood for heat and cut my own, I would probably go up a size or two, if only for the ability to go to a longer bar. It is light enough so that you are not worn out by lugging it around. The AV dampens the vibrations so that my hands weren't numb after running a tank of gas through it. Yes there are saws that are bigger, faster and meaner, but for a good all around homeowner saw, it is a very good choice.

take some of the stuff you hear..............

with a grain of salt.everyone whines that the husky 141 is a poulan but i bought a retun at lowes for $100 and it's awesome.i just adjusted the low setting and put a 16" sprocket bar with a .325 chain and i use it more than my 357xp or my 55 rancher.doesn't feel like any poulan i've ever used.people just have thier preferences.i'm gonna look at dolmars tomorrow . i'd own a stihl if they still made the 036 pro.stihl dealers are arrogant for the most part,not all of them though.some do think since they have the fancy wall display they can sell themselves so they just sit behind the counter on thier fat asses and ignore you.i don't think you can go wrong with a husky,stihl,or dolmar.from the sound of the dolmar dealer that spent time with you,that is who i'd do business with.next time you buy a weed eater,look at the husky 323L.i have owned and used them all and it is by far the best one i have ever held or used.light,balanced and plenty of power.even with a brush blade.

Nbrcrnchr said:
... The AV dampens the vibrations so that my hands weren't numb after running a tank of gas through it. Yes there are saws that are bigger, faster and meaner, but for a good all around homeowner saw, it is a very good choice.

There are also other saws in about the same class that have a lot better vibration dampening - the AV system is one of the weaker parts of the MS250 design - and that is a fact, not just an opinion! :help:

Imo the Husky 345 and 350 are both faster and much nicer to use......:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
this is obvious by using it.

it's a great little saw.went to my local dolmar dealer.he didn't stock anything but the 5100s,the 460,the 510,and the 560.say's if he stocks the bigger ones he gets broken into.says he can get anything in a day.real nice guy,we talked for a while.i highly recommen him to anyone in central or southern connecticut.i may buy a 7900 from him instead of the husky 372xp i was planning on.

Fastcast said:
Now the Stihl dealers on the other hand do seem a little arrogant as others have mentioned. It's kind of like: Here's our GREAT saw. You want it? You have a minute and a half to decide or your wasting my time and they walk away from you.

I hear alot of stories about Stihl dealers and conclude I must be spoiled with my dealer. I go in for parts and he's right on it. When I had a Poulan, he got parts for it. He gets me parts for my Troybilt tiller, Honda and Coleman generators, and even though he's always busy, he always answers all my questions, get's me parts lists or drawings etc. I can't imagine a reason to go anywhere else. Except to visit Dean for modifications! :cheers:

I think even if the Dolmar's were half price I would buy a Stihl just because I can't imagine better service from a dealer.

The Dolmar 540 is lighter than the 460 and only .2lbs heavier than the MS250and its 8cc's bigger, but it produces about the same power. I understand its a slower revving saw and that horsepower is equal to rpm x torque, but 8cc is a bigger engine. What's keeping it from producing more power? What mods would you do to perk it up some? You wouldn't want to mod it too much and lose reliability, but seems like a 54cc saw should produce more power than a 46cc.

I've been doing some reading about Dolmar 540 and 115 and I see now it has to do with the ports and possibly carb.

Last edited:
250 vs. 540

I had a 250 and presently have a 540. Both have air filters that load very fast doing any real work. The 540 is probably worse about this. Both had similar power but the 540 seemed to turn lower rpm in the wood,, but had a wider power band. After having the 540 Neigerized it is much stronger, but still not a 13k in the wood saw. If you hunt a little I think you could get a 540 for less money.

I would recommend a 350, 353 or 5100 over either.

Back