Stihl 260 Pro with 3/8 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bore_pig

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Should be buying a 260 PRO in the coming week. I think I would like to have 3/8 chain on it. That way I will use the same files and same stone on my chain grinder. Should I expect to pay extra to have the saw readied for 3/8? I think they usually come with .325 chain.

I don't think they should charge you but you never know.

I think if the guy wants to sell you the saw he should set it up like you want it. I bought a new saw and they were trying to get me to pay for the longer bar. It came with like 18" and I wanted 24" but I stood my ground and told um I'd go somewhere else. A little bluff never hurt nobody. Anyway they traded out the bar and chain and gave me a box of files and some handles. Try it, it may work.
We got one 026 with a 20" bar pulling full comp 3/8 and it work real good. Good little saw.

That saw sure will like .325 much better, and preferably a 16" bar - you sure sacrifice performance going past that.....:givebeer:

It is not among the stronger 50cc saws around.

I kind of like the idea of just one stone on the grinder. Keep things simple. I'm not out to set any records when I'm cutting! I plan on keeping the 16" bar. One more question. If I bought an 18" bar/chain combo, could I use it as a spare for both my 361 and a 260? Being able to carry one b/c combo (as a spare) that would fit both saws would really be nice!

Last edited:
With the 026 it depends on its intended use. We run 6 of them as limbing saws where 6" wood is the larger diameter likely to be encountered. Running 18-20" bars and 3/8" chisel chain presents no problems for this type of useage. If it was being used as a bucking saw where most of the bar length was in the wood then I would use 16-18" bars and .325 chisel chain. We use the 440 and 660 saws for bucking and felling, just more time efficient.
Pioneerguy600

.... One more question. If I bought an 18" bar/chain combo, could I use it as a spare for both my 361 and a 260? Being able to carry one b/c combo (as a spare) that would fit both saws would really be nice!

Sure, no problem at all provided the drive sprockets on the saws fit that combo (easy to change out in a pinch)!

Last edited:
With the 026 it depends on its intended use. Pioneerguy600

I think the largest this saw would see would be 10".
SawTroll
Quote:Sure, no problem at all!

I think that sells me on the 3/8! There's always a chance to screw up a bar. It would definitely be nice to only carry only one extra to cover both saws.

026 with 3/8th chain

I have two 026's, one with .325 chisel and one with 3/8th semi (both 16" bars).
The one with 3/8th go's real good in all sorts of wood, even with bar buried.
I actually prefer it to the other. I must admit though, it does have a good muffler mod!.

Like you, I went this way because I wanted to keep the same files. Bought the second one afterward, price was too good to refuse.

Cheers

Like you, I went this way because I wanted to keep the same files. ....
Cheers

Hmmmmm - that is the wrong place to save money! First of all, files wear out fast, and are cheap - second; to do it properly, each chain model need two different file diameters - one when new, and another (smaller) for the last part of its "life".......:givebeer:

Go with the Troll on this one. I've ran both 3/8 and .325 chisel on my 026 w/ 16" bar and the muffler mod. You will definitely see the difference, especially when buried into a seasoned elm......

I'm with SawTroll and Brad....... the 260 really likes .325 chain. My other saws run 3/8" and I don't find it to be a pain to simply grab a different file when it's time to sharpen.

I always like to see these 260 threads keep popping up. I am with the consensus on this, though, as I believe it was made to run .325/16". I absolutely enjoy running mine.

If those other saws are significantly better, I would sure like to run them. My 260 does everything that I expect from it.:deadhorse:

If those other saws are significantly better, I would sure like to run them. My 260 does everything that I expect from it.:deadhorse:

The 346 has little more power and that is it. The 5100 has the most and is a great small bucking saw. The 260 can do it all, just a little low on power when compared.

Latest posts

Back