Stihl 261 C-M Intermittent Hot Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it ran strong when it ran. Try not using Start when it is warm, I think it will resolve your issue. I only use Start when cold, or if it does not start on the first pull when warm. If in doubt, I always give it one pull on Run. This system has worked well for me. When I have put it on Start with a warm saw it did not start or first pull, so I went back to Run and started it.

Was it colder out when you ran the 362? This may make a difference.

Good luck with them both.

Glad it ran strong when it ran. Try not using Start when it is warm, I think it will resolve your issue. I only use Start when cold, or if it does not start on the first pull when warm. If in doubt, I always give it one pull on Run. This sy
stem has worked well for me. When I have put it on Start with a warm saw it did not start or first pull, so I went back to Run and started it.

Was it colder out when you ran the 362? This may make a difference.

Good luck with them both.[/QUOTE
I hope something will work for him but thats not the way Stihl recommends to start it and also Im pretty sure the owners manual says start in start not run. Run is for run and start is for start? Obviously the starting procedure has changed for mtronics? These arent carb models. Stihl tech said start everytime in start?

OK, couldn't wait till later this pm, had to hit the shed and see if the 261 would start. First pull on start it fired but stalled, second pull on start it fired and stalled when I blipped the throttle. Third pull on start it fired and ran till I turned it off. Hopefully I can give it a work out on Wednesday and not have any issues. Same day and temps/conditions Mike, but good thought. The 362 has about 5-6 tanks through it and the 261 is still on it's first. The 271, on the other hand is on about it's 12th tank and running like a champ!

I have not seen a lot of people having problems, just a few. I also agree with what Brad said, it just makes sense.

What I do like about M-Tronic, unlike a standard Stihl saw that just coughs on choke then has to be re-started, is that M-Tronic will start on Start and keep running after you hit the throttle, but I have found that you want to wait a few seconds before you hit the throttle (more when it is cold) or it will stall.

I think if you try starting it in the Run position when it is warm it will work quite well, and I don't care what they recommend, I only care what works.

My saw will often take 3-5 pulls when cold (not used for days or weeks), but never more than that.

I have had no problems with the 241c, 362c or 441c. They always start with no issues. The 661c for the first three tanks was acting just as everyone above have described. Not all the time, on occasion. Never the same pattern to zero in on. Reminded me of the Ex Wife. On the fourth tank I was pretty perturbed so decided to treat it like the proverbial "red headed step child" and ran the saw without a break pulling a 28" bar, full comp, in oak until just vapors were left in the tank.

That was about 1/2 a dozen tanks ago and now it starts perfectly, just like the 660. Choke/start when cold, run when hot, and man is she starting to sing now. But it sure had me pissed at times, always started when I hit the right combination. I also did the re-calibration with the bar off and chain cover and that didn't seem to help. The way it runs now I want to think it was me somehow but don't know how, I tried everything.

At this time there isn't an Auto Tune or Mtronic that I would want to part with. Good stuff IMO. The benefits far outweigh the small nuances I experienced with the 661c. I have another 661c on order whenever that comes in.

Try running the saw hard and see if things don't re-set like mine did. Or whatever it did.

I have not seen a lot of people having problems, just a few. I also agree with what Brad said, it just makes sense.

What I do like about M-Tronic, unlike a standard Stihl saw tha
t jusWellt cowughs on choke then has to be re-started, is that M-Tronic will start on Start and keep running after you hit the throttle, but I have found that you want to wait a few seconds before you hit the throttle (more when it is cold) or it will stall.

I think if you try starting it in the Run position when it is warm it will work quite well, and I don't care what they recommend, I only care what works.

My saw will often take 3-5 pulls when cold (not used for days or weeks), but never more than that.[/QUOTE
Well.I.disagree with both of u especially in the case of the 2 I have had. Mine is exactly opposite of yours in that mine starts almost everytime on the first pull when.cold. If u shut it off and restart it pretty quick no problem but if u wait several minutes and try to restart in run u can hang it up. If u start it in choke it starts right up

Ive just talked with tech at Virginia Beach , Virginia and he told me he had heard of the problem with other saws but also said no 2 mtronics saw hes seen started the same. Mike u say ur saw takes 3 to 5 pulls to start when cold but mine never takes more than 2 and usually starts on the first pull. Mine just has to be restarted on choke if warm? Still cranks good just has to be on choke? My 441 wasnt like that in that if it was warm and u waited a few minutes and tried to restart in run u was fixing to play hell and t had to be put in choke and pulled about 20 times to start

I have had no problems with the 241c, 362c or 441c. They always start with no issues. The 661c for the first three tanks was acting just as everyone above have described. Not all the time, on occasion. Never the same pattern to zero in on. Reminded me of the Ex Wife. On the fourth tank I was pretty perturbed so decided to treat it like the proverbial "red headed step child" and ran the saw without a break pulling a 28" bar, full comp, in oak until just vapors were left in the tank.

That was about 1/2 a dozen tanks ago and now it starts perfectly, just like the 660. Choke/start when cold, run when hot, and man is she starting to sing now. But it sure had me pissed at times, always started when I hit the right combination. I also did the re-calibration with the bar off and chain cover and that didn't seem to help. The way it runs now I want to think it was me somehow but don't know how, I tried everything.

At this time there isn't an Auto Tune or Mtronic that I would want to part with. Good stuff IMO. The benefits far outweigh the small nuances I experienced with the 661c. I have another 661c on order whenever that comes in.

Try running the saw hard and see if things don't re-set like mine did. Or whatever it did.

That's exactly my plan. My understanding is that these M-tronic saws REALLY like being run hard. I want to run a full tank through it without stopping.

I was a huge fan of M-Tronic till I discovered dual port mufflers and HD-2 filters. Sort of levels the playing field. I guess, now, I have a split personality, I like them both for different reasons.

But I think you builders still prefer Auto Tune/M-Tronic on your ported wonders so that we don't inadvertently ruin them.

I bought a 261 CM to clear a large lot and slab some of the nicer pine trees into beams to make some floating stair treads. I know the 261 isn't an ideal saw for an Alaskan mill, but there wasn't much to do (4 cuts per log), it's pine, and I don't mind going slowly and keeping a ripping chain extra sharp.

The saw ran great for felling and bucking. No issues, loved it, starting by the third pull every time. It actually cuts pretty well with the Alaskan mill too, though through some testing, grinding every other pair of teeth into scoring cutters made a huge difference in keeping the RPMs up and the saw moving smoothly.

The issue is, when using it with the Alaskan mill, it develops a hot start issue after about half a tank of gas. Sometimes it seems like it won't start because it's flooded, sometimes it seems like it's not getting enough gas, in which case putting it in choke seems to help, sorta, sometimes.

I took it in to the dealer, they cleaned out the "flooded carb" and said it was fine. Dealer said to never start it in choke when it's warm, and also to flip it to run after 4 pulls even if it's cold. I followed that, but the issue's still there, and I'm starting to lose my patience with a saw that is really, really starting to slow me down.

If I leave it idling after making a cut, it will run (rough -ish) for about 1-2 minutes then die and refuse to restart for about 45 minutes. If I turn it off immediately after making a cut, it will refuse to restart for about 45 minutes. Sometimes it starts, runs for a second or two, then dies. Sometimes it starts, but dies when I put any throttle on it.

Someone in this thread suggested a problem with the gas tank. Sure enough, sometimes when I open the tank when it's hot, I get a splash of gas and a steady stream of bubbles rising in the gas. But only sometimes. Opening the tank to relieve the pressure does not help it restart.

I've tried all manner of combinations of starting it in choke, starting it in run, chain brake on, chain brake off, etc. Chain brake off of course helps, but even then it has to sit for a while before it'll come close to starting again.

I've done the "carburetor reset" procedures (90 sec in choke, off, then 90 sec in idle, off, then start and make a few cuts). Doesn't seem to do anything differently after.

I tried switching to 93 octane ethanol free gas over the usual 89. Seemed to help a little, but not entirely sure.

At this point, I've got wood on the ground that's been on the ground for so long, it may or may not be useable if or when I can get it slabed and stickered. My best guess is that something is causing the computer to make wrong carb adjustments. Maybe my ripping chain (carlton) is the issue? I plan to try a different one soon. Is it possible the computer just doesn't understand or adjust correctly in slabbing cuts? It's going back to the dealer on Monday for repair round 2.

Any ideas?

M-Tronic depends on it's sensors for temp, choke, throttle position, rpm, etc. If any of the sensors are malfunctioning, the fuel control steering is way off, hence the running problems.

Husqvarna s/w has a sensor test, I guess the M-Tronic has as well.

Personally, I prefer the classic carburetors of our older MS362, having the option to richen the fuel mix, at times when using the PMX chains.

Back