Stihl 261 C-M Intermittent Hot Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got info from my Stihl tech guy. He says to always start an M-Tronic in the lower cold start position. This is very hard to learn for all of us that NEVER use the choke in a warm saw.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have seen some people recommend the "Start" position all the time. My saw does not like it when it is hot.

When hot, I just pull the cord. If it does not start on first pull, then I use Start position.

Hope this helps.

So, how did it cut?
Stihl says to start from the run position when warmed up. I haven't run mine much, but it always starts one pull from run position when warm.

Depends which Mtronics I'm using. Some start warm in run mode, some start warm in start/choke mode. Makes no sense to me.

You just have to learn the proper procedure it seems for each saw. I have a new 362c (again) and that one only starts warm with a drop start with the trigger depressed on run mode. If it didn't run so well once started id take it back like the last one.

Husky Auto Tunes aren't exempt from fussy moments as well.

Both Husky and Stihl Dealers will gladly update the software upon request free of charge. One would think as improvements come down from the factories they would eventually end up in our saws!

Best starting computer saw I have is the MS 241. There is hope yet.....

I agree but there is an underlying problem somewhere? I mean one saw shouldnt require choke and one run? Thats a huge difference?

If there is I sure can't find it. Neither can the Dealer. As long as I get each one figured out its good here. Of course nothing I have is stock except the 661c. But even stock they were somewhat different.

Here is something that's weird. The Huskies when shut off by moving the selector to choke always restart warm on high idle now fine. Haven't tried that on Stihl yet.

You just have to try everything when they decide to get fussy.

Not one out of the 6 have any problems cold so at least I'm good for one tank lol. But it's getting better, or I'm learning better I should say.

Can't wait for Stihl to move FI onto the chainsaws. IF that works well I'll sell all and start over again :)

So
Porsche I found out the Stihl 3005 mount bars r odd. The 18" is 16.5" and the 16" is 14.5" but the Cannon Supermini 16" is 16.3"

I measured 16" from spike to end of tooth that is available for cutting on the 18" bar. 61 Drive Links.

My ported 261 just sits now lol. But the 261 does handle an 18" .325 a bar full of wood better and would be a very good one saw plan for most homeowners, especially in a Mtron model.

Us AS guys are always so over powered it isn't even funny. Rarely do I push a saw even close to it's limits before reaching for the next size up in HP.

If my 362 is not normal, I'll keep it that way! She always starts and runs well, no complaints. I warm weather, I only use "Start" for the initial start, and even several hours later she will start on "Run" with the 1st or second pull. I don't use the c/r on that saw. (unless the saw is warm and I am in an awkward position).

Perhaps if you re calibrate it differently (leave out the Run portion for 90 sec) it will turn out differently.

My non M-Tronic saws are very similar. On a warm day, I only need to use choke for the first start, so they are all the same, I'm happy!

Latest posts

Back