Stihl 261 reliability.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot enough to melt bearing cages in short order, it seems - at least in the UK.

The inboard is part of what makes the saw feel bulky and clumsy to handle as well, in addition to the technical disadvantages.
I disagree. The ms260 has an inboard clutch and feels light and trim. The MS261 is much larger dimension wise and weighs more, that's why it feels the way it does.
I wpuld think those bearing failure are either because of material issues or operating conditions. IE too lean and not enough lubrication.

After a year of use I discovered a leak of bar oil sitting under my saw two weeks ago. Couldn't figure out what it was so I took it to my dealer who found one of the seals had gone bad. Fixed it under warranty and had me running again within 5 days (most of that time was waiting on a part).

For as much use as that 261 gets I can't complain about a small hiccup like this.

After a year of use I discovered a leak of bar oil sitting under my saw two weeks ago. Couldn't figure out what it was so I took it to my dealer who found one of the seals had gone bad. Fixed it under warranty and had me running again within 5 days (most of that time was waiting on a part).

For as much use as that 261 gets I can't complain about a small hiccup like this.
You are discussing a seal in the oil pump?

You are discussing a seal in the oil pump?

To be honest, I didn't get into too much detail with the dealer. I was in the middle of completing some orders for attachments on my tractor (they're a Stihl, John Deere, Honda store) and just grabbed the saw on the way out the door. Have worked with them so long I just assume if it works when I get home all is well.

Chainsaw are all a waste of time. Y'all need an ax.

Randy,
How do you keep that thing upright with all the Balancing issues it has ? You must be "Country Strong" :muscle:

also if you don't mind aren't you afraid of the thing detonating in your hands while you're cutting ?

seems crazy with all the serious issues in the UK....( thank God they don't happen in KY or TN ;))

where's that darn Sarcasm button ? can't seem to turn it off.

I disagree. The ms260 has an inboard clutch and feels light and trim. The MS261 is much larger dimension wise and weighs more, that's why it feels the way it does.
I wpuld think those bearing failure are either because of material issues or operating conditions. IE too lean and not enough lubrication.
I agree 100%. A clutch should generate no heat at all while in the cut. I'll take an inboard clutch every time.

I agree 100%. A clutch should generate no heat at all while in the cut. I'll take an inboard clutch every time.
I think the issues if there are any would be the conduction, convection and radiation of heat that the inboard clutch would block. The oil pump is generally in that area, not sure if that aspect is of bearing as well.

It's probably the Ultra. Because it's not even all oil (has a fuel stabilizer added) and 50:1 isn't enough oil in a saw that the Mtronic and EPA wants to run on the gilt edge of too lean. Just my guess??? I am sort of old school though.

The 346, and the 357 are great saws too. I'm not knocking them at all. I just get sick of hearing all the silly ******** about the 261. I've ported way more of them than any other 50cc saw........someone must like em.
I'm sure not knockin the 261, might have one one day myself.

the 261 makes more power than the 260 by the vids i watch ,but a 50cc saw should be more little or nimble in handling like the 260 ,that is why i like my lil ohtoosix ,it is the chassis ,not the power .same reason i will take a 440 over a 461 ,the 461 may be more powerful ,but it is not as nimble to throw around all day .

The 346, and the 357 are great saws too. I'm not knocking them at all. I just get sick of hearing all the silly ******** about the 261. I've ported way more of them than any other 50cc saw........someone must like em.
And Randy, that 346 you did for me will never leave here, ever! :D

Latest posts

Back