Stihl 310 of Huske 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am getting my first real saw to replace a wild thing that was not very wild. I am looking for a saw that can run a 18" to 20" bar and is good for all around use. I am taking over the wood cutting duties for the family and need a saw that will last. I am thinking on a Stihl MS310 of a Husqvarna 460. Which would be better? Is there a better saw for my needs? I am only looking to spend around $400 to $450 MAX. Thanks.

Welcome to the site!:)

Both are homeowner quality saws, with heavy plasic crankcases - I suggerst you take a look at the Husky 359 as well, it is a pro quality saw with magnesium crankcase.

The 310 is an old design, with lots of vibrations and a pretty bad air filter system.

Thanks. Thought I was the only person up this late. What is better about the 359? I kind of like the feel of the Stihl over the 460, but it is the only huske I have got to handle. Can these saws run through locust with some authority?

MOA said:
Thanks. Thought I was the only person up this late.

Yeah, but he's in Norway. It's like 10 AM tomorrow his time. Only midnight mine.

If you like the "feel" of a saw over another, that'll go a long way towards your comfort and satisfaction with the saw. Take that into consideration. I owned a 310 some time ago. It was a decent saw, and cut fine for me. How much more is the MS 390 in your area? Weighs the same as the 310, but more power.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Just looked at the 359 and like it alot more than the 455/460, seems to be a better saw for the $. I have a great stihl dealer locally tho.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record here.

Husky 346xp.
Best in quality, speed, and has a magnesium crankcase.
Easily modded, runs great, in the $400 range.

And I will save someone the trouble of stating that the 353 is also a nice saw, similar price range, 6 more ccs, a little heavier, a little more torque.

Probably would be VERY pleased with either, I love the BIG Stihl saws, but the smaller ones do not compare with these 50cc range Huskys, IMHO.

What stihl would you recommend? I am considering a 353 instead of the 455.

My 26 definately has more grunt than the newer 260, but is a modded design.
Is weight an issue?
You specified a price range of $400.
For each step up, you get a better saw.
Like I said though, I dont think the 50 cc Stihls are as good as Husky.

Now some knucklehead is gonna come in and muddy the water by recommending a Dolmar 5100. :hmm3grin2orange:

I am a big guy, so weight is not much of a issue. I wont be dropping anything over about 36".

And just to add fuel to the fire, are the dolmars any good? i dont have a dealer locally that carries them. The only huskies are at the lowes. I would have to order them of the net, which is fine, I just want to get my monies worth and the best sa for the job. I will probley cut about 40 hour a year and mostly hedge and walnut.

If you don't have a good local dealer, support one of the sponsers here.
They will help you if you need assistance, carry parts, and are among the lowest price wise.
Stihl is not available except through a dealer, but I think you said there's a good one by you.
Dolmar is all the rage on this site.
I really don't know personally, but I have literally seen nothing bad written about them. Do a search, theres plenty of reading there.
:popcorn:

How big of a saw do i need for 30" trees? I think I got it narrowed down to the 5100, the MS310, and the 353. Does the 310 have a plastic case?

Yes the 310 has a plastic case. How big of a saw do you need for 30" trees? The smallest saw I would use for a tree that size would be my MS361. However If I were going to cut 30" trees all day long I would run a 7900, MS660, or a 395xp.

So all the saws are to small for the biggest trees I mite cut? Now I am thinking about a dolmar. How is there pars avalibility?

I have necer dropped a tree over 30", but there are several locust and hedge that are this size. I would limb them down to just the truck instead of dropping them whole.

Back