Stihl 310 of Huske 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, for 30" any saw that can run on 16" bar is enough, but if youre are going to cut alot of 30" trees is suggest atleast 372xp...

30" diameter. My uncle did all the felling and I cut it to length. Now I am taking up all the responsabilities. Maybe I can teach my cousin to cut it for firewood and keep the tradition going... A 30" locust may be 30'to40' tall. Locust is one of the harder woods we cut. How hard is it comparably to help me choose a chain?

30" diameter, OK I was just making sure.

Locust and hedge are very hard trees, the hardest I know of. You need a good size saw to work efficiently, at least 70cc. You can use something smaller, but it will be slow going.

Andyshine77 said:
If you can find a 5100s that works it's the strongest and smoothest 50cc saw made.
Maybe, but I wouldn't dare to buy a Dolmar without a good serviceing dealer reasonably close to me.........:biggrinbounce2:

MOA said:
I am a big guy, so weight is not much of a issue. I wont be dropping anything over about 36".
MOA said:
30" diameter. My uncle did all the felling and I cut it to length. Now I am taking up all the responsabilities. ....

Then forget all the saws mentioned initially....

....and also the price range indicated.
Andyshine77 said:
30" diameter, OK I was just making sure.

Locust and hedge are very hard trees, the hardest I know of. You need a good size saw to work efficiently, at least 70cc. You can use something smaller, but it will be slow going.
Agreed! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Think I will just stay away from the bigger trees. Or look used. What is a good price for a used 372 or simular older model?

Found a 044 and a 066 locally. What do I need to look at with these saws? Is there any problem areas that should be of concern? The 066 has a twisted fram but the Stihl mechanic says it is just cosmetic and not a worry... The 044 was just rebuilt and is in good shape, but does not have a bar. Is this to much saw for my needs or is it just right? I would rather have to much than not enough. I am 6'2" and 275lbs and I am pretty strrong, so a heavy saw doesnt bother me to much.

The rebuilt 044 sounds like a good choice. Put a Stihl dual-port muffler cover on it and you should be good to go. It would be a better all-around saw than the 066, in my opinion - that 066 gets heavy after a while, especially limbing. :dizzy:

What kind of price did they have in mind for the 044?

It is through the local stihl dealer, it is a rebuild that the guy didnt come back for last year. the said they would have to look is up, but around $450, plus i would have to get a bar and chain. does this sound far?

MOA said:
How big of a saw do i need for 30" trees? I think I got it narrowed down to the 5100, the MS310, and the 353. Does the 310 have a plastic case?

the 310 is not in the same class.
I implore you, check out the 346xp if you are considering the 353.
:biggrinbounce2:

These guys are gonna talk you up to the 066! LOL.
Seriously, you should think about that 044. Much more power than the saws you mentioned.
Plenty of parts available too.

does the 346xp have the power I need? I have a decent husqvarna dealer here and never new it tell today. I went in and they were nice and freindly and let me fandangle all the saws I wanted, but they have a limited selection. I also have a dolmar dealer in the area that are new and seem willing to do anything to get there saws to the people who use them. The Stihl dealer said that the saw didnt need any motor work, that the coil fried, but it has low hours. This seems strange to me but what do I now? (Nothing, thats why I am asking for your great and valuable knowledge, Oh great masters of the woods:cheers: )

MOA said:
does the 346xp have the power I need? I have a decent husqvarna dealer here and never new it tell today. I went in and they were nice and freindly and let me fandangle all the saws I wanted, but they have a limited selection. I also have a dolmar dealer in the area that are new and seem willing to do anything to get there saws to the people who use them. The Stihl dealer said that the saw didnt need any motor work, that the coil fried, but it has low hours. This seems strange to me but what do I now? (Nothing, thats why I am asking for your great and valuable knowledge, Oh great masters of the woods:cheers: )

346xp is a good saw, but not for 30" trees....

The 044/440, husky 372, and Dolmar 7900 would be saws that I would look at. All three of them are well built. The 7900 will have the most power, but also weigh more. The 044 is the lightest and has just a tad less power than the 372. The 044 is a very versitale 70cc saw. Get a 20" bar and a longer one for the time you need it. You will like it.

Same with the 372. Extremely good saw that isn't too heavy to carry around all day.

Going to buy a saw tomorrow. Man, knowledge is dangerous. I should of just got a 310 and never even asked. Now I now that I have to get a 660 and have it modded just to just my christamas tree:D jkng. But I am going to get a saw tomorrow and I am leening toward a 361 stihl if I can get the price right, and am going to look at the 044 really hard. But I am going to all 3 dealers before I buy. I will give you guys a heads up tomorrow.

MOA I have a 372xp, 7900, and a 361. I have never ran a 440 but from what I know it's a good saw, the new 441 also looks like a good saw. From all the saws listed I think the 7900 would be the saw to get. If you go with stihl, the 441 looks like a better saw "to me" than the 440. Remember I have never ran a 440 or a 441, but from the way they are set up the 441 looks "to me" like a better saw.

Freakingstang said:
346xp is a good saw, but not for 30" trees....

The 044/440, husky 372, and Dolmar 7900 would be saws that I would look at. All three of them are well built. The 7900 will have the most power, but also weigh more. The 044 is the lightest and has just a tad less power than the 372. The 044 is a very versitale 70cc saw. Get a 20" bar and a longer one for the time you need it. You will like it.

Same with the 372. Extremely good saw that isn't too heavy to carry around all day.
:rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

You hit the nail right on, again!

Back