Stihl 362 or 391?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docwiley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I finally burnt up 1 of my 026's:msp_mad:. In need of a new saw. Wondering what you guys think of the 391 vs 362. We still have 2 O26's and a 361 in use. Would like another close to the 361. Will run a 20" bar with 3/8" chain. We cut wood for 2 outside boilers and 2 indoor stoves so we cut alot of wood.Would like to get your thoughts on these 2 saws. Thanks alot guys

No experience with the 391, but my 362 is doing a great job for me. Just a firewood hack here, cut for my own use. Using an 026 and 362 on our farm for firewood,

Burnt up? Did ya throw it in the boiler by accident?...lol. Seriously though, you sure the 026 is no good anymore? Possible rebuild? To your question now, MS362, but I have one so I am biased. It is a very smooth saw, has quite a bit of grunt on the bottom and top end, and mine sips the fuel....no mods. I had a 361 and liked it ran it for 2 years but now that I have run my 362 for the past couple years I thinks I like it even more than the 361. It wore a 25" ES bar when purchased, it will pull it okay but I have a 20" that it likes more. The 362 does weigh about 12ozs more than the 361, not noticable to me. The 391 weighs over 2 pounds more than your 361, that is going to be noticable. If you are not worried about that much weight then skip the 391 and go for a 441, about the same weight as the 391 and just so much more of a saw in everyway. Good luck.

No doubt the 362 among those, as the 391 is an over-heavy plastic cased creation, with a less efficient engine.

Even the 362 is a bit heavy for a 60cc saw though. :D

I should of said Dirted up instead of burnt up. Brother in law decided to cut a stump out with the O26, and being so dry here, the ground around it was like talcum powder and the dirt went everywhere inside the saw:msp_mad::msp_mad::msp_mad::msp_mad:, piston, crank, etc, everywhere.This was our oldest O26, but we still have 2 more of them. Will keep bad one for parts, but since we have 2 more we decided to look for a larger saw like the 361.

That old 026 would probably perk right up with a new piston... (~$30)

It's really Bad Karma...to let an 026 go down that way...Mother Nature kinda thing..!!

It must be repaired !!...ommm...It must be repaired !!...ommm...It must be repaired !!...ommm

Forget the ms391...Go ms441 if you have the $$ and can handle the weight..!!...ommm
:cheers:
J2F

Latest posts

Back