Stihl 362C won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PheasantHunter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought this saw from a guy who didn't want to fix it. He said the ignition was the problem. SN 297672364 M Tritonic? I am no expert saw mechanic but seems like a great saw if I can get it running.

Attachments

• IMG_6144.jpg
    IMG_6144.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6143.jpg
    IMG_6143.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 38
Was this from the guy in Stevenville? He never answered my email, where I said I was interested.

https://missoula.craigslist.org/tls/d/stevensville-stihl-ms-362c-chainsaw/7342962626.html
I'm curious, what did you pay for the non-running saw?

Other then pulling on the starter rope what have you tried so far to get it to run? Is there spark?
It was the Stevi guy. I paid 250, figured the parts were worth more than that. I put fresh gas in it. It has a new spark plug but will try a different one. Fuel filter, piston, etc look good.

Before you go throwing parts at it, check for spark. If you have spark, is it getting fuel? If it's getting fuel, is it flooding? If it's flooding, then I'd replace the solenoid and the fuel filter with the latest updates. Solenoid usually fails open, so it floods the engine. Have the model and serial number of your saw, when you go to the dealer.

I looked for spark in a very dark room by removing the plug and pulling the starter rope with the saw set to full choke. NO SPARK. I removed the starter and was surprised to find a aftermarket coil. Not sure how wires are normally attached but these weren't attached very well. Seems like a "white" coil is a starting point?

Attachments

• IMG_6158.jpg
    IMG_6158.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 37
I looked for spark in a very dark room by removing the plug and pulling the starter rope with the saw set to full choke. NO SPARK. I removed the starter and was surprised to find a aftermarket coil. Not sure how wires are normally attached but these weren't attached very well. Seems like a "white" coil is a starting point?

Good find. Yeah, some sort of Chimpanzee got in there. Maybe you can straighten it out, or worst case buy a new coil. Sounds like the saw will be running soon. :rock:

The ignition module that you have on your saw now is not an m-tronic control unit. With that the saw can`t work, looks like a chinese knockoff.

Control unit for your saw is 1140 400 4706. But go to your dealer with the serial and let him check again, because there were many changes. But this one should fit your saw.

Thanks for the part number info, I will call a dealer tomorrow and have them check serial number and make sure I get the latest and greatest coil. The one in the saw came with it, not installed very well :(

The ignition module that you have on your saw now is not an m-tronic control unit. With that the saw can`t work, looks like a chinese knockoff.

Control unit for your saw is 1140 400 4706. But go to your dealer with the serial and let him check again, because there were many changes. But this one should fit your saw.
The dealer agreed that the part number is 1140 400 4706 and they had one in stock. However, the last owner cut the end off the wires. I assume the red wire clips to one of the silver tabs on the yellow part. Does the black wire ground to a screw or the other tab?

@PheasantHunter

You get this saw running yet?
I got the wiring harness yesterday and got it installed. So glad i bought a new one. Saw started on the third pull, recalibrated and shut it off. Then used it to fall 5 Douglas fir trees (bark beetle is killing them left and right in my neighborhood. Seems like a great saw. Total invest 350 and some time.

1627511425968.png

Attachments

• IMG_6266.MOV
    7.7 MB

Latest posts

Back