Stihl 400 cm specs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can add to this conversation is, no matter how much power your saw makes, none of it can be used with a dull chain. For a person that runs a saw for firewood, the power of a 462 would allow you the ability to cut down the biggest trees as long as you have the right chain and patients and a good set of wedges. The 462 has an exceptional accelerating chain speed. I do not remember the exact speed/time, but it was something like 0 to 100m/s in something like 0.4 seconds. witch along with it's weight makes a great limbing saw. My saw likes to be in the upper RPM's during a bucking cut.

That’s pretty obscene, trying to remember what I paid for mine 24 months ago but I know it wasn’t that….
I can't find the pic anymore, but the first one I saw on the shelf was just shy of $1400.00 like a year and a half ish ago. I'd love to have one, but have no need for one.

What is your opinion of it, how does it stack up against other saws?
Not even close to the 500 I, it revs like a hot rod, good anti vibe system and I suspect it has a little bit less power than an 044, but I never compared them side by side, but it's lighter which is nice. What are you trying to do there? I would just get a 500I if I had to choose only one.

Not even close to the 500 I, it revs like a hot rod and I suspect it has a little bit less power than an 044, but I never compared them side by side, but it's lighter which is nice. What are you trying to do there? I would just get a 500I if I had to choose only one.
Looking like a small clearing job is in the works, I gave my 440 to my son, so I just picked up a 400.
I struggled on deciding whether to get another 500 or go with the 400 or 462, hoping I made the right choice.

I haven't had an issue with it when wearing my muffs, but it's definatly louder then it needs to be.
I have pretty severe tinnitus along with almost complete hearing loss in my left ear so I am sensitive to noise for sure.
A life time of working in heavy industry, competive shooting, hunting and racing two strokes hasn't done my hearing any favors.

Looking like a small clearing job is in the works, I gave my 440 to my son, so I just picked up a 400.
I struggled on deciding whether to get another 500 or go with the 400 or 462, hoping I made the right choice.
I've been mulling over this statement for a while now. I wouldn't go after any version of the 044/440 over a 400. Having said that, I have more saws then I know what to do with and if the 400 isn't up to the task the 390xp or 394xp takes it in stride. Now if I had to have a lot less saws, I'd probably settle on the 500i. I've never gotten to run one, but have fiddled around with them at the dealers enough to know I could cut with it all day and have a solid saw.

Back