stihl 440 or 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both are High Quality Saws

I had a 441, and still have the 440. Although some have had good luck with them, I could never warm up to the 441. I hear that the new 441C-M is more powerful than the 440, and I believe this. The 440 is light and handy, and balances well. Give it a dual port muffler, and it will wake up a bit more. Btw, except for a 7900, all of my 70cc plus saws have wrap bars on them. That's the way they come here.

My 2 cents - the 441 is a first generation design, and is bulkier, heavier, and more complex than it needs to be. It sounds like Stihl may have worked some of the kinks out of the design, but I would not buy another one. They are not popular around here, and the logging shops that I know of sell very few. There is a reason for this.

I think that the 440/460 is a sturdier and more reliable design than the 441. This is more important to loggers, for example, in the PNW and Western Canada who work in very remote areas with greatly varying weather, altitude, etc., than to guys clearing lots and farms in the midwest. The 441 C-M could be a step in the right direction, but I have no experience with one. I was in the largest logging supply store in the PNW last week. They have multiples of every pro Stihl and Husky made on the shelf, except the 441 C-M. They had 1 non C-M 441. For me, I much prefer the no longer available 75cc Husky 372 XPW to the 441, and bought a few of those while I could. I want to try one of the newer 372's with the strato motor, but don't need one yet.

Back to your question. Both saws (440 and 441) will pull a 25" bar with ease. The 441 is more comfortable to use, and if you are just bucking in the backyard might serve you better. The 440 is much handier to use, and lighter to carry around. It is pretty easy to get parts for either. Can you demo each and see which one feels better? If I had to get one of the two, I would buy a 440, and wait for Stihl to improve the 441 design, at least for now. If I wanted more power than the 440, I'd step to a 460, or more likely a Husky 390.

Good luck

Last edited:
save for a extra pay day and pony up to a 660, if weight and fuel is not a issue it is the logical choice as it is a touch bigger than the 441 in appearance and is only 2 pounds heavier than a 460, parts are easy to come by and it is as reliable as the sun rising in the morning, it is also proven in the woods as one of the premier logging saws. Bars from 20 inch out to 42 inch are common place on the 660 and a 8 pin rim is almost a must with bars 32 inches and under.

stumping003.jpg

The 441 is a great saw, as good as any Stihl has built and will be around for a long time to come. They discontinued the 440 once already how long before they do it again.

I was fortunate enough to be in the McGrath- Carmichael genre

I was more like the Hannah - Howerton era. Took a blast on my '02 YZ250 today - it is a total freak. Walks the 450's on the straights. Buddies of mine have set theirs up just like mine after riding it (Pro Circuit Works pipe and shorty silencer, Delta Force reed cage), and not one of them is within 15% of mine. Hope I never blow it up, it really is a bad ride.

I'd take the 441R C-M (and in fact did). Just a great saw to use.

I was more like the Hannah - Howerton era. Took a blast on my '02 YZ250 today - it is a total freak. Walks the 450's on the straights. Buddies of mine have set theirs up just like mine after riding it (Pro Circuit Works pipe and shorty silencer, Delta Force reed cage), and not one of them is within 15% of mine. Hope I never blow it up, it really is a bad ride.

I'd take the 441R C-M (and in fact did). Just a great saw to use.

Couldn't of said it better!! I met Hannah 7 years ago, I ran Michael Andretti Powersports in Selinsgrove PA for a number of years. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki. Sorry to derail nowadays I just rip on my saws Mtronic 441.

Couldn't of said it better!! I met Hannah 7 years ago, I ran Michael Andretti Powersports in Selinsgrove PA for a number of years. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki. Sorry to derail nowadays I just rip on my saws Mtronic 441.

Far as I'm concerned, the Hurricane was the man - loved watching him race, especially back before he was good at the starts. His through-the-pack charges were awesome. Think I'm gonna' put some lightning bolts on my M-Tronic.

MS 441 R-CM all the way! You have to run one to understand why myself and others like them so much. Try it, you will like it!

Steve:msp_smile:

I was fortunate enough to be in the McGrath- Carmichael genre

Oh I remember seeing those battles a little bit, I was pretty young at the time so they are not as memorable as some battles of today, I remember when RC was on the Factory Kawasaki Team, and Pastrana was being arguably the best 125cc rider of those years. I have to say Reed Vs. Stewart were my favorite battles lol.... I was and still cheer on Reed lol

i know they have been making thd 440 a long time. i like the old stuff that why im leaning towards the 440. im not shure about electronic stuff yet, i want something i know wiil work and depend on when i need it,

The 440 is a well built, reliable and simple to work on saw. Parts are plentiful too.

It sounds like you already have come to a decision...:rock:

I had a 441, and still have the 440. Although some have had good luck with them, I could never warm up to the 441. I hear that the new 441C-M is more powerful than the 440, and I believe this. The 440 is light and handy, and balances well. Give it a dual port muffler, and it will wake up a bit more. Btw, except for a 7900, all of my 70cc plus saws have wrap bars on them. That's the way they come here.

My 2 cents - the 441 is a first generation design, and is bulkier, heavier, and more complex than it needs to be. It sounds like Stihl may have worked some of the kinks out of the design, but I would not buy another one. They are not popular around here, and the logging shops that I know of sell very few. There is a reason for this.

I think that the 440/460 is a sturdier and more reliable design than the 441. This is more important to loggers, for example, in the PNW and Western Canada who work in very remote areas with greatly varying weather, altitude, etc., than to guys clearing lots and farms in the midwest. The 441 C-M could be a step in the right direction, but I have no experience with one. I was in the largest logging supply store in the PNW last week. They have multiples of every pro Stihl and Husky made on the shelf, except the 441 C-M. They had 1 non C-M 441. For me, I much prefer the no longer available 75cc Husky 372 XPW to the 441, and bought a few of those while I could. I want to try one of the newer 372's with the strato motor, but don't need one yet.

Back to your question. Both saws (440 and 441) will pull a 25" bar with ease. The 441 is more comfortable to use, and if you are just bucking in the backyard might serve you better. The 440 is much handier to use, and lighter to carry around. It is pretty easy to get parts for either. Can you demo each and see which one feels better? If I had to get one of the two, I would buy a 440, and wait for Stihl to improve the 441 design, at least for now. If I wanted more power than the 440, I'd step to a 460, or more likely a Husky 390.

Good luck

Great post!:)

My old 044 i had with duel port muffler was the finest saw i had ever run, or yet to run in the woods. I had to carry it all day, through some nasty brush and up even nastier hills. I wouldn't run a 046 unless stihl hadn't developed the 044, if you need more power than a 044 can handle, you need a 066, period. The extra weight and bulk of a 441 entirely defeated the purpose and niche the 044 filled. I guess if you are going to pull your saw out of the back of your truck and carry it 20 feet and buck up a deck of logs, the 441 might be the saw your looking for, if your going to carry it, limb, buck, and carry it some more the 044 is the obvious choice. There is just something about the feel of a 044 in your hands that is indescribable, and unmatched. It is truley the most nimble 70cc saw ever developed.

Cant argue that there is more of the latest technology into the 441. Guys that have them, love them. Personally, I could never get over the way they felt in my hands. Very nice saws, but I would take the MS440 in a heartbeat. Dated AV, and several other things- but the ergonomics make up for it. Youll have good service out of either one no doubt.

Latest posts

Back