stihl 440 or 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsawguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have narrowed my decision. but dont know which one to buy. im leaning towards the 440. any opinons on which one to get. thanks for your time.

There will be people on both sides of the fence. One thing to consider is that Stihl brought back the 440 due to popular demand.

The real question is which one has better av, a better air filter design, and has just as much power but with better fuel economy. I understand that there are a lot of 440 diehards, but isn't the 441 truly the superior saw? Especially for the price difference. I know there is a thread on here about the price.

The real question is which one has better av, a better air filter design, and has just as much power but with better fuel economy. I understand that there are a lot of 440 diehards, but isn't the 441 truly the superior saw? Especially for the price difference. I know there is a thread on here about the price.

The 441s I've ran were a bit stronger than the 440. Only the early 044s can outrun them.

I've buy a new m-tronic 441. They have really good power, and everything else this guy above me said. They're superior to the 440 IMO, but theres others who like the 440 because it a little lighter. I think a 441 with a 28" light bar feels really good in my hands. I like the m-tron 441 alot.

im planning on buying new. to me feul doesnt make that much diiference and weight not much either. i want a reliable saw. i plan on buying two bars 20 inch for everyday and 25 inch on occaasion, but i want something that will pull both. i got an old xl 925. but it getting old. its come down to which one is more reliable. i like the old stuff but its getting harder to find parts and getting less reliable

i am partial to fords. i like the horsepower. which one the 440 or the 441 is easier to a little lite modifications.

Each time this discussion comes up on here people say the 441 is the strongest 70cc saw, the 440 is bullet proof one thing that always gets overlooked is the actual size. oh and yes one already made the point why did they bring back the 440???

i know they have been making thd 440 a long time. i like the old stuff that why im leaning towards the 440. im not shure about electronic stuff yet, i want something i know wiil work and depend on when i need it,

im planning on buying new. to me feul doesnt make that much diiference and weight not much either. i want a reliable saw. i plan on buying two bars 20 inch for everyday and 25 inch on occaasion, but i want something that will pull both. i got an old xl 925. but it getting old. its come down to which one is more reliable. i like the old stuff but its getting harder to find parts and getting less reliable

I have a 441 with a 30 inch bar and 20 inch, 20 cuts like a dream. 30 cuts good too but gotta take it easy in hardwoods. I love it:rock:! You won't regret it. My next purchase is going to be 361 with 16 or 18 b&c..... I dream of the day I walk out the store with it:msp_razz:

I got it both- 044 and 441. They're like an old Power Wagon and a new Ram. The heft is there, but not the density. You can pass up a gas station, but not always. It has that old customary Dodgey feel to it though more brittle and smooth without the square log wagon bullet-proofey hardness of yesteryear. I like to stick the scrench in there and have that feeling that goes oohhhrrrnnhnnttt when you open up the fuel tank. They were old school 'cause they was built outta bricks instead of lightweight post-tension concrete.

It has a heart of Stihl from the homeland.

440 for me.
My crew has two. 1 with lite muffler mod, etc.
1 was built by MasterMind - stuffed a 460 top & ported it out. Awesome

I vote for the 440

The best thing about the m-tronic 441 is that if you modify the muffler it will self adjust for that. It also stays at the optimum tune for any altitude, temperature, etc.

It'll even tune itself after port work, which really makes them a pleasure to run.

I love the 440, but it's just hard to beat a 441CM though. I'd buy the R model too, like mentioned above. I doubt you would regret it. There's been a few good threads on the 441CM here lately. You should do a search and read about it a little.

Latest posts

Back