stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on the distributor, they're giving 1 or 2 out to select dealers until they get more around Sept.-Oct. Currently we have it at starting at $1,269.95 with 16" and $10 each size you go up.

I just saw one at the local saw shop here in NW Montana. I even got to start it up and rev it in the parking lot. Not for sale they told me. Demo only. Wait 2 more months. It did make my day to get to check it out. It was running the 3/4 wrap, double dogs, and a 28” es light bar. Just the way that I would want one.

My favorite dealer has received one so far and that was in and out the same day within hours. He puts in request on every order but is getting none other than the 1 so far. He has a waiting list of 6 people and I'm in there somewhere....

Yeah I'm hoping the 500i doesn't have any major problems due to the new tech, because it seems like it could be a forever-saw for someone. If I were a homesteader or rural good ol boy or something starting out in my 20s-30s, it'd be awesome to buy one, take care of it, and be able to use it for 60 years :)

I noticed with particular interest today when I was in the Stihl website that there was a 500 series chainsaw listed in the menu. "Oh isn't that interesting". I click it, and there is listed a 500i, and a 500iR. Ok, I click them, and all I find is the parts listing... no products. Yet.

So, that means that it is "coming". I don't know if the store would freak if I snuck one on that shelf right next to the oil...
I wanna play with one so badd.... :cool:

They are sure doing a good job building anticipation for the 500 in the US. I bet they wish that they could have timed it to come out with the stimulus checks. I am still torn between the 500i and the 462. There are still plenty of new 461s around here too. If only I had like 4grand sitting around. I would get one of each.

I really hope that the 500 is worth the hype. I bought my ms361 after they had been out for about a year. No regrets there. Still my favorite saw to run all day. It just runs out of snort on 24” and bigger stuff. I did buck some 40” ponderosa with it last winter. It did fine. If I did more tree cutting for hire, it would be a no brainer. To do the occasional removal job and firewood, it is hard to justify the money. If the saw lasts like the 361, I will be a happy camper. Pretty sure that the 500 is in my future this fall. It was so cool to get to demo it. I still have yet to put any time on a 462. Is it even in the ballpark with the 500i? I would be running a 28 or 32” bar in 30” plus Doug fir, larch, and whatever else needs cut out of somebody’s yard.

I really hope that the 500 is worth the hype. I bought my ms361 after they had been out for about a year. No regrets there. Still my favorite saw to run all day. It just runs out of snort on 24” and bigger stuff. I did buck some 40” ponderosa with it last winter. It did fine. If I did more tree cutting for hire, it would be a no brainer. To do the occasional removal job and firewood, it is hard to justify the money. If the saw lasts like the 361, I will be a happy camper. Pretty sure that the 500 is in my future this fall. It was so cool to get to demo it. I still have yet to put any time on a 462. Is it even in the ballpark with the 500i? I would be running a 28 or 32” bar in 30” plus Doug fir, larch, and whatever else needs cut out of somebody’s yard.
I have not had the opportunity to run the 500i yet, but I have found the 462 to be a great replacement for my 036's. About 25% increase in hp with about 1 pound weight increase. I use my saws for trail work and firewood. The 462 with a 32" bar does fine on fir in the 40" class, but really shines with the 28" bar in the 20 to 30" stuff!

I have run a 500i and found acceleration stupidly fast, you really need to be careful when saw is out of the cut!
These things take some getting used to after using carbed saws and I fear kickback more than ever when using one, for this reason, I wouldn't recommend a bar size below 24"

I have run a 500i and found acceleration stupidly fast, you really need to be careful when saw is out of the cut!
These things take some getting used to after using carbed saws and I fear kickback more than ever when using one, for this reason, I wouldn't recommend a bar size below 24"
I haven't used a 500i, but I know kickback & a longer bar doesn't help, it actually hurts.
It does change the angles.
On my larger saws a 25" is way safer than a 32" for most work, due to the way it acts when pinched & when kicked.
You pinch the top of the bar coming through a log, and it comes straight backwards at you, fast and hard... enough to knock you over if not careful. a 24" doesn't have as much stroke to push you ove &. often just to bump into you instead. a 32" will knock you over in the same cut, if your not standing correctly.
a tip kick back has less momentum and will trigger the hand brake with a 24", but not with a 32". with a 32" the bar's arc is moving slower so in my experience the handbrake doesn't trip, (with more mass & thus torque on the handles) but the chain's still spinning stupid fast while it's coming at you. Just My opinion & experience...

I haven't used a 500i, but I know kickback & a longer bar doesn't help, it actually hurts.
It does change the angles.
On my larger saws a 25" is way safer than a 32" for most work, due to the way it acts when pinched & when kicked.
You pinch the top of the bar coming through a log, and it comes straight backwards at you, fast and hard... enough to knock you over if not careful. a 24" doesn't have as much stroke to push you ove &. often just to bump into you instead. a 32" will knock you over in the same cut, if your not standing correctly.
a tip kick back has less momentum and will trigger the hand brake with a 24", but not with a 32". with a 32" the bar's arc is moving slower so in my experience the handbrake doesn't trip, (with more mass & thus torque on the handles) but the chain's still spinning stupid fast while it's coming at you. Just My opinion & experience...
I totally agree with you on the kickback normally, but on this particular saw the bigger bar would mean slower take up on acceleration, the throttle on this saw and the power delivery is either on or off, I've never used anything like it and it's really not for me! I thoroughly recommend trying one out before committing to purchase!

I totally agree with you on the kickback normally, but on this particular saw the bigger bar would mean slower take up on acceleration, the throttle on this saw and the power delivery is either on or off, I've never used anything like it and it's really not for me! I thoroughly recommend trying one out before committing to purchase!
I intend to try one as soon as the opportunity presents itself:)
have you ran a similar sized ported saw, and if so how does the acceleration compare to it? I ran a ported 462 last night, and compared to my stock 462, which is pretty quick as it is, that thing was plain nuts.
Instant throttle response, and plenty of torque with a 32" bar in elm... almost scary, if it wasn't so much fun!!!!

I intend to try one as soon as the opportunity presents itself:)
have you ran a similar sized ported saw, and if so how does the acceleration compare to it? I ran a ported 462 last night, and compared to my stock 462, which is pretty quick as it is, that thing was plain nuts.
Instant throttle response, and plenty of torque with a 32" bar in elm... almost scary, if it wasn't so much fun!!!!
Who ported the 462 for you?

I got to run a 500 last fall at our GTG. It was the first time it had fuel in it so it was not broken in. I thought it was very smooth in acceleration.i only made 4 or 5 cuts with it. Having a 462 I couldn't detect much of a difference.
There isn’t. Until you get out to about 28” and dog in

Back