STIHL 660 -or- Husky 385xp/395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
385XP - It will outcut an 066 any day of the week. I would say the 395 but its a bit overkill unless you're running a 32" bar with .404 chain in hardwood all day.

Not a chance of that..... a Dolmar 7900 will outcut a 385.....and my dual port, otherwise stock 660's are a fair bit faster still.

I like Husky saws, but have no use for the 395, as it weighs a lot more than the 660. Most feel the 395 is faster....but I'd doubt that it could beat a dual port 660.

I'm definitly a stihl guy but the ms660 and 066's seemed to have had their issues. The saw they replaced the 056 and 056m2's seemed to have better bearings in the cranks from what I have been told and they run forever. I'll pass on the crack give me clean fresh mountain air!:cheers:

HUH? That was nearly 20 years ago... (064) and no, the 066/MS669 don't have any bearing issues..

if the search function had been used this post would have been discovered...here are some of my observations about the saws mentioned

BTW: whoever thought i stock 385 would outcut an 066/660 is out of their mind!! personally i believe a stock 385 is a pig!!

now this is observations of several saws of both of the brands......so take it as you will

huskies(main experience w/395 & 575)

rev higher-i believe that there powerband(sweet spot) is at a higher rpm level that a comparable stihl saw.
better air filtration(have went up to a month of nearly every day timber cutting w/o having to clean the air filter.
outboard clutch-i personally believe that this can be a bit of a pain at times, especially when doing sprocket changes or when a powerhead needs to be removed if the bar is pinched.
on a few brand new husky 395's ive had problems with the fuel tank vent not being properly machined and not venting, thus causing vapor lock ($5 fix but very aggravating when it occurs)
to me a husky seems like a bulkier saw chassis than a stihl.
ive have a few saws in which the seam on the bottom of the plastic molded fuel tank would leak.
out of the box i am more satisfied with the bucking spikes on a 395 husky than a 660 stihl(which i swap out when new for different ones)
when a motor mount fails on a husky it fails(broken spring) and there is no way around it. fix it or cause more damage.
in my personal experience it seems as tho the huskies will vibrate parts of of them. ive seen 395's and 575's vibrate parts loose, bolts mainly which inturn wollar out the bolt holes.
i believe that a husky 395 has a high output oiler than a 066/660(half wraps)
press in bar studs-not a big fan,ive had them get pushed back in and drop into oil tank(empty oil tanks, clean bar stud and oil tank, coat bar stud with red loctite and press back in-let dry)
the kill swith is great when it is working-have had them go out-very aggraving when in the woods.
have broke choke lever on a few of them.
i like the factory roller chain catcher
i have broke the chain tensioner on a 395(never on a stihl)
Cast on flywheel keyways sheer!!!! PITA!!

i think that pretty much sums up my ideas about husky

now for stihl(main experience-028AV Super, 046, ,460, 066, 660)

main power made at a lower rpm (torquer, more lugging power)
simplicity of the tools needed(T27 torx, 3/4 scrench, and a 5/16" socket or wrench(can't think of the comparable metric-prolly 10mm-not sure of the top of my head)
personally think that they are like working on a small block chevy-just about anybody can do it.
SIDE ACCESS CHAIN TENSIONER..
saw feels less bulky
screw in bar studs
motormounts usually don't just fail, they weaken over time but will almost never just break....cuts down on surprises in the woods
i actually like the all-in-one master switch.
ease of obtaining parts, both new and used.
interchangability of parts.
a 660 is about a pound lighter than a 395
inferior air filter system to that of husky
the sounds of a stihl doesn't make me wanna stick my pinky inside my ear and scratch my brain

i think that pretty well sums it up for the two, and this is just some of the observations that i have had with the two brands.

don't like the puny bucking spikes on some of the smaller professional models of either brand...

all in all both are great saws, ive spent many hours at the helm of both of them. and i chose stihl by personal preference, past experience and ease of maintenance.

to add to that,

ive had stihls that vibrated the cylinder head bolts loose(though they had prolly not been checked since the time they were new-got the saws used)

on a 395 husky the impulse hose is much harder to get (wraps from top of carb, down around it, down under it and onto the crankcase) to than on a 066/660-pretty much a straight shot.

ive had huskies that had the fuel lines come apart(i believe from running fuel with ethanol-just a personal thought,)

ive worked on a couple 395's & 575 that had wollared out the clutch side crank bearing crankcase hole....which is never good

all i can think of for now, hopes this helps gives some of you guys some of the real world experience that ive had with them....

and i have to stress this, when the day is over, and all is said and done, they are both great saws

but if you look at my sig line......you'll see what i'm running!!

Last edited:
Not a chance of that..... a Dolmar 7900 will outcut a 385.....and my dual port, otherwise stock 660's are a fair bit faster still.

I like Husky saws, but have no use for the 395, as it weighs a lot more than the 660. Most feel the 395 is faster....but I'd doubt that it could beat a dual port 660.

yup....

BUT, if the 7900 beats the 385, and the 385 beats the 660........

That makes my 7900 a 660 killer! lol

:popcorn:

All 3 are good saws with pro's and cons but the only way to really tell is sticking each into some wood and seeing which one you like the best. I would say the 660 or the 385/390 just because I like the feel of them better than the 395. Parts are readily available and reasonable for all 3. They are all dependable. Good luck figuring out the one to buy... Just comes down to what feels and looks best to you. Besides if money wasn't an option you could get all 3 :clap: Maybe throw in a NOS 440 :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back