STIHL bar / chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conflicting opinions of TSC bar oil thickness...

I bought 6 gallons a few weeks back of the tsc oil. It seems to work good and is a little thinner than Stihl oil. It should work fine in the winter also.

I noticed this on a previous discussion of TSC vs Stihl bar oil. My own experience is that the TSC is thicker than the Stihl oil and my MS180 with the NON-adjustable oiler didn't pump enough of it, so I have continued to buy the $tihl oil (regular Stihl, not the Woodcutters) for the MS180. My new to me 046 seemed a little stingy even with the oiler all the way up with a 32" bar, so I have only used the Stihl oil in that as well.

Is there a brand at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowes that is thinner like the Stihl but cheaper?

Also, I don't mean to doubt others findings; perhaps there is a regional difference to one or both the brands of oil.

I have 5 gallons of the TSC packed back so far.Every time I get a Pay check I'm buyin 2-4 gallons at the time.:msp_wink:I done wiped out all of the Poulan stuff at the local wally world and they aren't restocking.:msp_angry:

I walked into a new stihl dealer the other day and he had the stihl woodcutter oil for 10.99 which is better then anyone else around. He is a small engine repair and his prices on saws were really good as well. At $7 a gal I have to make a trip to tractor supply and pick some up today.

Last edited:
My dealer had a few gallons of original Stihl last spring and a bunch of woodcutter, the original was a dollar higher then cause it was old stock $12 $13 I think. He said if he reordered the original he would have to sell it for almost $20 and no one in this area would pay that so he probably wasn't going to order anymore. He said if you didn't have the original and woodcutter side by side probably couldn't tell the difference, and woodcutter was stihl's answer to losing out on the bar oil market. He is also carrying another brand now also but don't remember the name it sells for around $11.

I bought on of each woodcutter and original to see if any noticeable difference. He was interested in what I found but haven't cut much wood since then only a tank or two of each one. Will have to wait a few months to really tell

Nomad, it was back in spring but thinking back on it at the time I didn't get a tank of each run through the saw. I remembered thinking I wasn't going to get o find out till fall.
My cousin has an excavation business and removed a fence row about 1/2 mile long I believe my dad, cousin and I each got a cord a piece bit I didn't get the new oil til the very end.
Will let everyone know when I fire the saws back up and get into some more wood

Hey just a quick one guys but who makes the Stihl Bar oil in the states? In Australia it is made by Castrol for Stihl. Stupid thing is that we have a Castrol trade account at my work and I can by Stihl Bar lube from most Stihl dealers cheaper than our cost on Castrol gear.

Oh and I'm with everybody else. Bar lube isn't rocket science. Just some oil with some tackifiers added so it doesn't fling off readily and that's pretty well it. I've used the cheapest stuff I can lay my mitts on in dead, dirty, Aussie hardwood in 118°F (approx 47°C) and never had an issue with toasting bars, chains, or nose sprockets. I even picked up a 20L of gear oil a while back for a song and this stuff mixed with cheap engine oil works a treat. Bit too viscous by itself.

Ok, I am not a professional, But you're gonna need to explain that one. I have no clue why cheap bar oil would make that happen.:confused:

The reason is that the cheaper bar oil binds the drivelinks to the bar grooves on one side and this causes crooked cuts. Alledgedly...

Latest posts

Back