Stihl bar oil sticker shock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPP

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stopped this morning for an orange jug of bar oil.
$16.50

Man.

Just finished up a jug that may have been 2 years old, sticker was $9.99.

Starting to wonder if the Poulan stuff at Walmart will be acceptable, I used to use it when I ran Poulan saws. From my recollection of the lime green bottled stuff, I always thought it was too thick and didn't flow as well as the Stihl oil.
Might have to give a small bottle a try and see if its worth it.

my walmart has galon jugs of bar oil over in the automotive dpt with the rest of the oils. i think im going to try this instead of buying gallon jugs of husky oil. i dont know what brand it is thought but who cares its just bar oil

2 words: Tractor Supply

Last year when Stihl oil went up to $17/gal I bought a few gallons of TSC oil for $6.99/gal. I think it's around $9 now.

Yeah I use the tractor supply stuff. I got a couple gallons on sale for $6.99 recently.

I use the Wal Mart stuff all the time,Poulan, and Super Tech. They both work well and are about $9 gal around here.

You have to shop around these days,if you have a Tractor Supply in the area,they were running a special on their bar oil($6.99/gal.) and Husky Lo Smok(I think that's the name) oil was on sale too.That's about the cheapest I've seen advertised lately.
If you go by Tractor Supply,get one of these on/off caps for the bar oil jug.You won't know how you lived without it.
attachment.php

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...0551_10001_138072_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

isn't that cap only for poulans?
do they make a two tone for stihls?

There you go again,trying to color co-ordinate your wood cutting ensemble.
They do come in various colors.
I'll keep bringing these caps up every chance I get,they really are a valuable accessory.Once you try them you'll see what I mean.

Sounds like it's time for the GypoLogger pic.Do a search,I'm not going to post it.

There is absolutely no reason to pay that kind of money for bar oil. TS or WalMart has it all the time in several different brands (irrelevant) for around $9/gallon. I don't know who Stihl is trying to kid. That stuff is not worth the extra money. :jawdrop:

There is absolutely no reason to pay that kind of money for bar oil. TS or WalMart has it all the time in several different brands (irrelevant) for around $9/gallon. I don't know who Stihl is trying to kid. That stuff is not worth the extra money. :jawdrop:

Most shops have to buy by the pallet in order to get free freight...problem is they bought at the wrong time. That was left over oil from last falls purchase.

I got lucky and doubled my stock order last July. Was able to get it prior to the price increase. Because of the slow down last Fall, that order was enough to get me through to this Spring...prices were back down by then.

I currently retail that same Jug of Stihl oil for less than $8.50 per. I got lucky. Your local saw shop didn't. It's not that they are trying to screw you, it's simple business. Cost plus a markup means you keep the doors open.

If you don't use Stihl bar and chain oil you have to turn your oiler way up.:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I use the Poulan in the green gallon jugs.

I think it is the best bar oil available. I have used many different kinds and the Poulan is the tackiest that I have found.
Add to that the fact that it runs 7.99 per gallon, and it gets hard to beat.

I used the Wal Mart super tech a few years ago when it was 3.96 a gallon and it seemed to be ok but wasn't as tacky and now it's higher than the Poulan.
I tried a gallon of Ace hardwares Master Mechanic and it slung off the chain like a string trimmer in a mud puddle.

Stopped this morning for an orange jug of bar oil.
$16.50

Man.

Just finished up a jug that may have been 2 years old, sticker was $9.99.

Starting to wonder if the Poulan stuff at Walmart will be acceptable, I used to use it when I ran Poulan saws. From my recollection of the lime green bottled stuff, I always thought it was too thick and didn't flow as well as the Stihl oil.
Might have to give a small bottle a try and see if its worth it.

Not sure where in WNY you're located, but suggest to your shop they check out "Save-A-Chain" brand it's sold by Deckman Oil, and we retail it for 9.99$ a gallon. Since the spike in oil prices, we started losing sales because because of the high price of Stihl oils. So we started carrying Save-A-Chain bar oil in addition to Stihl, and we're no longer losing sales. We've sold about 20 cases in the last 2 months of the stuff and no complaints yet.

Not sure where in WNY you're located, but suggest to your shop they check out "Save-A-Chain" brand it's sold by Deckman Oil, and we retail it for 9.99$ a gallon. Since the spike in oil prices, we started losing sales because because of the high price of Stihl oils. So we started carrying Save-A-Chain bar oil in addition to Stihl, and we're no longer losing sales. We've sold about 20 cases in the last 2 months of the stuff and no complaints yet.

Thanks, I'll suggest that to them.
Is the oil any good?
I've stuck with Stihl for years, found it lubes very well. Seems like great stuff, but can't imagine there isn'tcomparable stuff out there for better price.

BTW, lcoated in Palmyra.

Thanks, I'll suggest that to them.
Is the oil any good?
I've stuck with Stihl for years, found it lubes very well. Seems like great stuff, but can't imagine there isn'tcomparable stuff out there for better price.

BTW, lcoated in Palmyra.

We stick 100% with the Stihl stuff for 2 stroke mix. This Save A Chain brand is 100% Virgin oil, so it's not recycled waste oil. I've looked it side by side with the Stihl and can't notice any real difference. Most of our Pro users have switched to it since it's 3$ a gallon cheaper than Stihl bar oil and they haven't noticed any difference. And like it the fact that a case is still 4 gallons instead of Stihl being 3 gallons in a case.

I use the Poulan in the green gallon jugs.

I think it is the best bar oil available. I have used many different kinds and the Poulan is the tackiest that I have found.
Add to that the fact that it runs 7.99 per gallon, and it gets hard to beat.

I used the Wal Mart super tech a few years ago when it was 3.96 a gallon and it seemed to be ok but wasn't as tacky and now it's higher than the Poulan.
I tried a gallon of Ace hardwares Master Mechanic and it slung off the chain like a string trimmer in a mud puddle.
the tsc stuff slings off 2. it was 6.99 a few weeks ago tho can't remember what it was at walmart but it was more.pefer the pouland when its 4.99 its like it has stp in it or something.

Bar oil is bar oil (as a rule). If it sticks to the chain then its doing the job. I've tried expensive stuff, cheap stuff etc and haven't noticed any difference in bar heat or drivelink wear. I did try some low vicosity engine oil once but the bar got too hot.
I'm sure there is some dodgey gear out there but I've used some of the cheapest, no name brand stuff around and it is as good as any. I still run all my oilers flat out no matter what oil brand. I decided to play the old tightwad once but then forgot to turn the oiler back up on my 3120XP with my 42" bar. I smoked up the nose sprocket which died later.
I buy the cheapest bar oil I can find, and spend the saved money on decent, synthetic 2 stroke mix.

Latest posts

Back