Stihl chain like gold!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion will be, I hope you got a 088 Magnum to pull that kind of chain.

Here is the rest of the story. I just purchased an 084 powerhead. It came with a 3/8-8T sprocket. I do not have bars or chains for it yet. I just went into the Stihl dealer to get a price on a .404-7t sprocket. The first guy (new in the store) looked it up and told me it was about $6 but he would have to be sure. The Asst. Mgr. shows up and tells me I will need all new bars and chains if I switch. I told him I am well aware of that and I don't have any bars or chains right now, I am just checking to see if you can get the sprocket. He says I will be right back. He comes back with a price list for the whole sprocket assembly~$43.00, 36" bar~$85.00, and 36" full comp chain-$59.99. I said thank you and left. I never intended on getting a full comp chain and I don't need the whole assembly. He never offered any explanation for not pricing me for a .404-7t sprocket only. Maybe he can't get sprocket by itself, maybe he can and doesn't want to. It reminded me of a car dealer trying to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't ask for.

Last edited:
Dealer just priced a single 36" full comp .404 RS chain to me for $59.99!!!! I don't know if that is fair, but I am going to shop for something cheaper. Any suggestions appreciated.
I just picked up a roll of 46RS (.404, .063, Chisel, Non-safety) that has 340 links left. PM me if you want me to make a loop or two. I also have a good assortment of rolls of Carlton, Oregon, Homelite Chipper, Windsor, and others in everything from 1/4 to .404.

The only Stihl dealer here that runs an A+ shop Hellebuyck's,

always has a deal. Buy one chain get one half off.

I figure it's worth asking at a lot of places.

I just got 4 special order Rm .325 64dl for $73 out the door.

I wouldn't say A+ their staff is clueless to what they sell and they never have anything in stock. Weingartz costs a little more but they know their stuff and keep things in stock and another good place is Rochester Lawn Equiment on Auburn Rd just west of Rochester Rd.

I sell hundreds of loops of Stihl, Oregon and Carlton and dealer cost for a 72 dl 3/8/ .050 chisel chain
is within 1.00$ across the three brands.

I use Stihl chain exclusively, I buy it on E bay, unless I need it right away then I have to go to the dealer in town.
Dealer is a little higher than E bay, but a buck here and there ad up.
I save about $5.00 per chain buying on E bay over dealer price for the same chain.

This computes to a dealer cost of a 100' roll to be within about $22 -$23 of each other. It totally unravels at the retail level around here.

Actually just checked and dealer cost for a 100' roll of 33RS and 72LGX were 2$ difference, with Stihl being cheaper.
Carlton A1LM was 27$ more for than Stihl or Oregon for 100' roll.

But chain is one of the few things we as dealers make more than 20% profit, but
I call price gouging where I see it.

Last edited:
My local stihl dealers both charge $0.40 per DL on 3/8" chain. It adds up quick. I can buy oregon chain from bailey's and have it shipped for less. I'm gonna give eBay a shot.

Actually just checked and dealer cost for a 100' roll of 33RS and 72LGX were 2$ difference, with Stihl being cheaper.

I just check prices here in the PNW (for a member here on AS at to of the biggest saw shops in WA.) and found just about what was posted above; the shipping just kills the deal

I'm just lucky I live just a short drive away from one those saw shops :msp_smile:

A roll of stihl 33rsk is $437 plus tax here at home. They charge $27 for a 24" loop of it. Oregon is $250 a roll from out west even with shipping it's around $15 for a 24" loop.

One of the posts mentioned windsor chain , I don't see it for sale much anymore , they made good bars , how was there chain in comparison to stihl and did they make there own chain. The Stihl .325 .050 RM 72DL is really hard to find , anyone have any laying around they don't use anymore .

Last edited:
One of the posts mentioned windsor chain , I don't see it for sale much anymore , they made good bars , how was there chain in comparison to stihl and did they make there own chain. The Stihl .325 .050 RM 72DL is really hard to find , anyone have any laying around they don't use anymore .

I tried Windsor chain from my distributor a few years back and was less than impressed with the last of their stuff. I can't vouch for earlier stuff, but this stuff dulled easy and the price wasn't great. I can get Carlton for cheaper than the Windsor stuff used to be, and Carlton is a far better chain.

I'm not impressed with carlton lately , been using it for quite awhile now just doesn't seem to hold an edge on my 346 but seems better on the 359 with 3/8 . Keep thinking about changing the 346 over to 3/8 chain but I don't want to hurt my baby .

My dealer in Southern PA sells Stihl chain for about a dollar per bar inch. So a loop for a 16" bar is $16, 20" bar is $19 and 32' is $28. That's not how he prices it but that's what the end cost is before taxes.

How about a 100' of RSK 3/8 .050

Latest posts

Back