stihl chainsaw made in brazil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc_man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was cleaning my 038 and noticed on the cover it said made in brazil. I thought they were supposed to be a german made saw? Anyone know much about the saws made in Brazil?

I know the 038 Magnum II saws were made in Brazil. The 038 M (non M II saws) were made in West Germany. Not sure about the smaller 038 models.

I haven't heard of any problems with the 038M IIs because they were made in Brazil.

The MS380 and MS381 are made in Brazil, along with some older models. I believe many parts from those can be used on the older 038s, and could have been sold in the US or Canada as spare parts.

Brazil, too, not just Argentina.

From Wikipedia: "Ratlines (German: Rattenlinien) were a system of escape routes for Nazis and other fascists fleeing Europe at the end of World War II. These escape routes mainly led toward havens in South America, particularly Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil, Uruguay, and Chile."

From Ask: "There was a large German migration to Brazil and Argentina during the late 1800's at the same time many Germans were immigrating to the U.S. That meant there was a "ready made" community for the Nazis to blend into. Nazi money helped establish several communities in Brazil and several "important" Nazis lived there and in Argentina. "

Anyway, sure do love those 038M saws! :)

Last edited:
It is possible that particular part was made in Brazil. A lot of parts are sourced from all over with these things.

I know the 038 Magnum II saws were made in Brazil. The 038 M (non M II saws) were made in West Germany. Not sure about the smaller 038 models.

I haven't heard of any problems with the 038M IIs because they were made in Brazil.

My 038 M (not a M II) says made in Brazil.

I bought it new, wish I could remember when:msp_unsure:

It's a bit of Stihl history I'd like sorted out, which 038 saw versions were manufactured in West Germany and which in Brazil. Not like it matters, really. Just interesting stuff.

I have a Brazilian 038 Mag now. I have seen a lot of them as they are common here - they were one of the later 038 mags (and mag 2's) and they came with a really nice triple ported muffler. Quality is every bit as good as the German saws.

Al.

The factory was set up to help deal with the very high import duties and red tape involved in importing goods into South America. It also gave them a base less affected by European and American currency changes and economy slow downs etc.
The casting foundry was found to be as good as the German counterpart and was one of the first of it's type in SA. Hans Peter Stihl is on record as being so imperessed by Mac's casting systems that he changed their, Stihl, procedures to better practices used by Mac.
Up until about 6 years ago the casting plant in Pruim Germany was casting high quality parts for Merc Volkswagen and Audi and as far as I know the the foundry in Brazil also supply the automotive sector.

Back