Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw009.jpg

Saw010.jpg

Saw011.jpg

3 more (Hopefully)

nice saw

Stephen...

Great looking saw and it is an "S"! Thanks for posting the pics and can't wait to see the "after" clean-up photos.

Brad...

Thanks for helping Stephen upload those photos. It is tricky to learn how to do the first time.

...Carl

I got the NOS piston. It is indeed a Mahle piston. This is a strange looking piston. It has unusually shaped windows only on the exhaust side, instead of two windows on both sides of the piston. Also, there are no machine marks in the skirts. It's a totally smooth finish. What's the green dot on the crown?

425218868_PEpg2-M.jpg
425218918_GAgHk-M.jpg

Okay Brad...

I got my piston today and here is a pic:

attachment.php

Note that mine has a blue dot! Have you figured out what the paint color means yet?

...Carl

Is there a way to see if a Contra is the 106 or the 137 S ...without taking the jug off to measure ?

Will do a forum search to see if i can locate photos Bill posted of different cyls,
Can't see the plate on mine either........:greenchainsaw:

Read the plate - but I believe you need to doublecheck anyway - the top cover may be from another saw.

Last edited:
Holy crow - Contra pistons!

Brad - could you check the measurements as per page 2 of this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=69477&page=2&highlight=contra

I've emailed the guy selling them...if he won't ship to the UK, would you be willing to grab one for me and send it on? Even at $1.48 to the pound, I'm willing to play!

I'm guessing the dots may be some sort of oversize - I haven't got the IPL with me, but I recall there were a stack of different piston options. I'll check tomorrow.

Guys thanks for posting the picts and all this info on the Contras but none of them so far look like the one I used and ran during the mid 60`s . It had a weird anti vibe set of handles with a bar that connected the rear handle to the front handle that crossed over the engine top cover. It had a metal plate on top of the red plastic plate that read Stihl Contra S. I have been trying to track down that saw for over 10 years and it has taken me across 3 Provinces but it remains ever elusive, I have not given up though.
Pioneerguy600

Holy crow - Contra pistons!

Brad - could you check the measurements as per page 2 of this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=69477&page=2&highlight=contra

I've emailed the guy selling them...if he won't ship to the UK, would you be willing to grab one for me and send it on? Even at $1.48 to the pound, I'm willing to play!

I'm guessing the dots may be some sort of oversize - I haven't got the IPL with me, but I recall there were a stack of different piston options. I'll check tomorrow.

Did a quick measurement on mine (blue dot:) ) and it measures 15.5 to 16
mm...Carl

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not a Contra piston. It's only 54mm:(. What would it go to? Inside are the markings: Mahle, w011, and 54L28. Top of wrist pin to edge of crown is 16.5mm.

attachment.php

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is not a Contra piston. It's only 54mm:(. What would it go to? Inside are the markings: Mahle, w011, and 54L28. Top of wrist pin to edge of crown is 16.5mm.

attachment.php

Brad...

Are you referring to mine only or yours as well? Besides the colored dot differences I see mine has the same interior mould numbers as yours. However, the top of mine has a "B" whereas yours has an "H". Also mine has:

_3_
| | |

Yours seems to be stamped 068. All very interesting...Carl

Brad...

Are you referring to mine only or yours as well? Besides the colored dot differences I see mine has the same interior mould numbers as yours. However, the top of mine has a "B" whereas yours has an "H". Also mine has:

_3_
| | |

Yours seems to be stamped 068. All very interesting...Carl

I assume yours is the same as mine. What's the diameter of yours? The Contra is 58mm and this piston is only 54mm.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for posting the picts and all this info on the Contras but none of them so far look like the one I used and ran during the mid 60`s . It had a weird anti vibe set of handles with a bar that connected the rear handle to the front handle that crossed over the engine top cover. It had a metal plate on top of the red plastic plate that read Stihl Contra S. I have been trying to track down that saw for over 10 years and it has taken me across 3 Provinces but it remains ever elusive, I have not given up though.
Pioneerguy600

I belive you are thinking of the Contra/Lighting AV. O will try to post a pic of one from Martin Pfeiffer's collection.

Bill

Mine should get here tomorrow. I plan on cutting with it immediately, obv. What kind of gas should I be running in it? Chainsaw collector's corner says 12:1 or 16:1 with SAE 40; are they for real?

Mine should get here tomorrow. I plan on cutting with it immediately, obv. What kind of gas should I be running in it? Chainsaw collector's corner says 12:1 or 16:1 with SAE 40; are they for real?

Huh? You're going to cut wood with your Contra? I'm sorry, but those are for looking at. We'll have to put you on the Secret Service "watch" list now...

attachment.php

that pic raised indeed questions with me when I saw it. I have seen a piston of one of my contra's and it did not have the side ports as the one in the pics.

I belive you are thinking of the Contra/Lighting AV. O will try to post a pic of one from Martin Pfeiffer's collection.

Bill

That is just like it, were there many of them? That is the only one that I ever used. I was told by the mills mechanic that it had 137cc engine. It could pull a full comp 404 chisel on a 36" bar in the hardest wood better than any other saw I ever used.
Pioneerguy600

Back