Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food for thought

BLK - 54mm bore 46mm stroke 1954-1973
BLK57 " " " "

056AVSE - 54mm bore 38mm stroke 1980
056AVSEQ- " " 1980

Guessing pics are of BLK / BLK57........did'nt the early saws use a smooth piston and chrome bore....if there is a way to confirm what you bought is BLK
.......imagine there's a market for resale ; nos /gold ;)

Oh well ...we might go the way of Arias / RXE .....have em made.

I belive you are thinking of the Contra/Lighting AV. O will try to post a pic of one from Martin Pfeiffer's collection.

Bill

That is just like it, were there many of them? That is the only one that I ever used. I was told by the mills mechanic that it had 137cc engine. It could pull a full comp 404 chisel on a 36" bar in the hardest wood better than any other saw I ever used.
Pioneerguy600

Here's the pic:

attachment.php

BLK - 54mm bore 46mm stroke 1954-1973
BLK57 " " " "

056AVSE - 54mm bore 38mm stroke 1980
056AVSEQ- " " 1980

Guessing pics are of BLK / BLK57........did'nt the early saws use a smooth piston and chrome bore....if there is a way to confirm what you bought is BLK
.......imagine there's a market for resale ; nos /gold ;)

Thanks Gum...

Now all Brad or I need to do is pull the piston from our contra and photograph the two side by side...Carl

That is proving, er, painful, hence my interest in this thread!

Gutted to hear that these are 54mm pistons - but I suppose better to know now than when the saw is in pieces....

Mine should get here tomorrow. I plan on cutting with it immediately, obv. What kind of gas should I be running in it? Chainsaw collector's corner says 12:1 or 16:1 with SAE 40; are they for real?

Good question! It was suggested that I use 20:1 and that is what I used the one time I ran my saw. Any of you out there with more experience with these older saws? Are the new oils good enough that you don't need as high a concintration?

...Carl

Good question! It was suggested that I use 20:1 and that is what I used the one time I ran my saw. Any of you out there with more experience with these older saws? Are the new oils good enough that you don't need as high a concintration?

...Carl
After looking at all of the good pictures here on the Lightening, I got around checking on mine.
I do have a good top plastic but one small crack near the metal.
The serial number is " 88625 ".
The type I thought was 110G but yours has 1106.
I have the same grey color.
Missing the inner air filtor guts like yours
I bought it off of ebay 2 years ago out of Maine, never had it running.
But it is sluggish when you turn it over with the plug out.
I just dope it up with Marvel mystery oil now & then.
And I do have the old bar that came with it with the STIHL Loggo
But my starter cover has nothing on it.

Last edited:
After looking at all of the good pictures here on the Lightening, I got around checking on mine.
I do have a good top plastic but one small crack near the metal.
The serial number is " 88625 ".
The type I thought was 110G but yours has 1106.
I have the same grey color.
Missing the inner air filtor guts like yours
I bought it off of ebay 2 years ago out of Maine, never had it running.
But it is sluggish when you turn it over with the plug out.
I just dope it up with Marvel mystery oil now & then.
And I do have the old bar that came with it with the STIHL Loggo
But my starter cover has nothing on it.

TT...

Your serial number and starter cover would indicate that yours is one of the older machines. The other style of starter cover appears to me to be from the newer machines (I don't know what year Stihl made the change. We should get a serial number from one of those saws from someone that has one and see how high it is? Also is the tag with the motor number on the same location on those saws?).

It is my belief that all Contra/Lightnings are 1106. If you have an IPL for the saw a lot of the parts will start with that number. It might be a part number in common with some other saws like the 070 and 090 but I don't know that...Carl

TT...

Your serial number and starter cover would indicate that yours is one of the older machines. The other style of starter cover appears to me to be from the newer machines (I don't know what year Stihl made the change. We should get a serial number from one of those saws from someone that has one and see how high it is? Also is the tag with the motor number on the same location on those saws?).

It is my belief that all Contra/Lightnings are 1106. If you have an IPL for the saw a lot of the parts will start with that number. It might be a part number in common with some other saws like the 070 and 090 but I don't know that...Carl
You are right I was reading the type number wrong, also my serial number plate is at the same location as your saw is.
I do have a added serial number hand stamped on the top of the right front of the crankcase. I will get pictures taken later on this week.

Contra S link

Take a look at this these two links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWHs6y0BOg

********************************/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=69&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Some valuable info and pics there. I have been unable to register to this forum so cannot ask permission to copy some images to this forum for informational use. However, note the difference in color in the two contras. The older one is indeed gray and the newer one Stihl white.

I also found it extremely interesting that the older one (which I have) has an external filter sock.

Also note the unique gas cap.

...Carl

How to differentiate between models?

Sawtroll mentioned the only way was to measure the bore, as top covers can be switched.

I was am curious about this as well. A co-worker who learned of my interest in chainsaws let it slip that he had an "old monster stihl". He described it as having a weird finned muffler, heavy as heck, and red and white..... he thought it was from the 60's. Bought it in 95 at a yard sale. After a few questions that I'm sure he wasn't expecting I told him I thought he had a Contra. He brought it in and sure enough it is. There is no top plate.... so I'm having trouble telling him which on it is. Runs great, sounds awesome. He appreciated the info form Acer's site and now wants to know exactly what he has.

The oiler is automatic. Not sure if they all were at one point.... Mike acre's shows differences in the Contra, Contra G, and Contra S oiler type. But I'm not sure if that held true thourougt their production, or if that was only the initial model. Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Sawtroll mentioned the only way was to measure the bore, as top covers can be switched.

I was am curious about this as well. A co-worker who learned of my interest in chainsaws let it slip that he had an "old monster stihl". He described it as having a weird finned muffler, heavy as heck, and red and white..... he thought it was from the 60's. Bought it in 95 at a yard sale. After a few questions that I'm sure he wasn't expecting I told him I thought he had a Contra. He brought it in and sure enough it is. There is no top plate.... so I'm having trouble telling him which on it is. Runs great, sounds awesome. He appreciated the info form Acer's site and now wants to know exactly what he has.

The oiler is automatic. Not sure if they all were at one point.... Mike acre's shows differences in the Contra, Contra G, and Contra S oiler type. But I'm not sure if that held true thourougt their production, or if that was only the initial model. Does anyone know?
I vaguely remember something about if your saw has a 2 piece cylinder, you could add a bigger piston.
Is that right?

Latest posts

Back