Stihl cordless

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have had one of these for a while now so i thought that i would report on it.
It is a BIG suprise. Power wise it is equivalent to a 35cc saw. It has more power than my 30cc Shindaiwa.
I got mine with the 6000ma/h battery and it seems to last for ever. Around the farm it seems to never need a charge. Its gets used mostly when camping and is very good for a traveller saw.
Has the flippy cap. Lol but no problem yet.
The chain is very small and doesnt take much to loose its edge in dirty wood. But generally its fine.
Build quality is good. And it really feels like it will last. I am happy with it. Everyone that has used it has been blown away by the power and they all state this!
Chain speed is a good balance between speed and torque.
I have the normal house outlet charger but i think the optional car charger would be an awesome addition as well.
Anyway, i think its well worth it compared to the other ebay/wallmart/China crap that is out there.
e9ca5f0da4088967d0068e2f45d12c3a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have had one of these for a while now so i thought that i would report on it.
It is a BIG suprise. Power wise it is equivalent to a 35cc saw. It has more power than my 30cc Shindaiwa.
I got mine with the 6000ma/h battery and it seems to last for ever. Around the farm it seems to never need a charge. Its gets used mostly when camping and is very good for a traveller saw.
Has the flippy cap. Lol but no problem yet.
The chain is very small and doesnt take much to loose its edge in dirty wood. But generally its fine.
Build quality is good. And it really feels like it will last. I am happy with it. Everyone that has used it has been blown away by the power and they all state this!
Chain speed is a good balance between speed and torque.
I have the normal house outlet charger but i think the optional car charger would be an awesome addition as well.
Anyway, i think its well worth it compared to the other ebay/wallmart/China crap that is out there.
e9ca5f0da4088967d0068e2f45d12c3a.jpg

Pics of your saw Please.

Really never thought that I might be interested in a battery-powered chainsaw, but I got an offer for a new credit card.

If I apply for this card and get approved (which I would), and if I make a purchase of $500.00 or more within the first three months of receiving it, I'll get a $150.00 cash back credit.

That makes buying one a lot more reasonable. I'm going to look at the new DeWalt's first, and then a Stihl.

I wouldn't mind adding a battery-powered chainsaw to my stable of O P E.

I like the easy adjust chain,
Steal spikes,
Large oil capacity
And "Feel in the hands".

Well i considered the husky, but decided on the Stihl because of the larger battery capacity and the fact that most Husky owners adapt theirs to run the Stihl bar and chain. So it was an easy choice.
I cant overstate the amount of power this has for a battery saw!

I have the Stihl MSA120C and am totally happy with it. I have been clearing about 75 feet of fence line that is completely overgrown with saplings up to 8" and the saw is perfect for the scores of finger sized to 2" limbs that I am having to cut so that I can toss the stuff over the privacy fence and then load it up and haul it to the burn piles. The battery outlasts this old man for sure !!! I have touched up the chain twice with my Dremel tool chainsaw sharpening kit. The 5/32" stone is a bit oversize but works just fine.

The 120 is an older/smaller version isnt it? I dont think i have seen one of those before

Maybe it's just that I'm missing the connection.

What does a battery-powered saw have to do with a chipper? :confused:
You usually keep a small saw around a chipper so if you run into a forked branch that won't go into the chipper you can cut it off. A battery saw would be great because you wouldn't have to start it.

You usually keep a small saw around a chipper so if you run into a forked branch that won't go into the chipper you can cut it off. A battery saw would be great because you wouldn't have to start it.
Exactly.
Actually the Stihl Top Handle battery saw would be awesome for that

The 120 is an older/smaller version isnt it? I dont think i have seen one of those before

It's the current home owner saw that comes as a complete set up with saw, batt and charger for $299. The owner version uses different and non-interchangeable batts than the pro saws use. This saw is just over 8 lbs. It uses the same chain as the pro. Stihl has also started using this chain on their pole saws. I was selling my Homelite to a guy the other day and I let him try out the Stihl and he was impressed. He was buying the 37 year old Homelite to use in a fixture to make cutting up small wood simple and easy so his wife could help out. She would probably fall in love with the Stihl.

It's the current home owner saw that comes as a complete set up with saw, batt and charger for $299. The owner version uses different and non-interchangeable batts than the pro saws use. This saw is just over 8 lbs. It uses the same chain as the pro. Stihl has also started using this chain on their pole saws. I was selling my Homelite to a guy the other day and I let him try out the Stihl and he was impressed. He was buying the 37 year old Homelite to use in a fixture to make cutting up small wood simple and easy so his wife could help out. She would probably fall in love with the Stihl.
Good info mate.
These Stihl saws are great arent they

Here is a pic of the stuff mine has been doing. We are under a burn ban during the summer months and this fall and winter I will be contributing to global warming :)

6MKq2XV.jpg

Latest posts

Back