Stihl dealer said no post-breakin check offered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wahoowad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Even though I really want a Dolmar 5100, there is no nearby Dolmar servicing dealer close enough to me. I'm trying to buy from a local dealer so I will have good service, but I only have 1 chainsaw shop in my area (Stihl only dealer).

So I go look at his saws. I've read a lot here about post-breakin adjustment checks offered by other dealers, so I asked this shop if that is what they do for the saws they sell. They said "nope" - it won't need it. I didn't push him on it but couldn't help but think of all the comments people make about how their dealer encouraged them to bring a new saw back after a few tanks so they can check it out for their customer, sometimes richen it up a bit or check the adjustment, whatever. But not this dealer.

Is this normal for most dealers? If I don't have a good feeling about the only dealer in town, maybe I should just mail order that Dolmar or buy it from the guy in the next town up the road.

Most saws are set a bit rich for break in and need to be adjusted after several tanks. Your dealer may not have been lying, but if he wasn't then he is incompetent.

Saws have not been set "a bit rich" for a long time (1998?)..... That would defeat EPA testing/setting at the factory.

The dealer is correct... no post sales is REQUIRED.. but if you want one that's fine.

Last edited:
WOW.......So if you bought a Husky on line who would adjust it for ya.....:dizzy: :dizzy:

No-one, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't ideally have been done - in fact I find the last para in Andy's post above pretty offensive - it should be offered (all real dealers do it here), and then it is up to the customer......:jawdrop:

Last edited:
No-one, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't ideally have been done - in fact I find the last para in Andy's post above pretty offensive - it should be offered (all real dealers do it here), and then it is up to the customer......:jawdrop:

Yep.. If I paid a fortune (Norway, UK, Europe etc..) for a saw I'd want a gold plated post sales check too.

Last time I bought a saw, it was a Stihl, in 2001. Told the dealer I was taking it home, 3500 ft. higher than his altitude, and he went over what to do to tune it up. He made sure I understood. I guess if I'd have wanted to drive the fifty miles back to him, he'd have given it a look after a few tanks, but it wasn't at all necessary.

Saws have not been set "a bit rich" for a long time (1998?)..... That would defeat EPA testing/setting at the factory.

The dealer is correct... no post sales is REQUIRED.. but if you want one that's fine.

Thats absoloutely correct! Out of all the stihls I have ever bought only one needed to be leaned out to achieve maximum power. I have never modded a muffler and don't have to mess with the hi side they are all cookie cutter, maybe have to turn the l in for idle/throttle purpose, but not for the first few tanks

I guess to make a Husky run it needs to be modded.....:cheers: :cheers:

Never modded saws and don't really feel you need to. Suppose if my grandfather wanted to be on you tube he would have but over 100 years of falling timber in my family and never needed a dremmel to do it.

Yep.. If I paid a fortune (Norway, UK, Europe etc..) for a saw I'd want a gold plated post sales check too.

I agree that if you have a tach (or a good ear) it isn't needed - but for many customers it is.....

Actually, dealers (Husky and Stihl that is), risk bannishment here, if they doesn't positively offer the service.

Discussing the value of it is one thing, but the offer should be there - not all customeres are pro's or AS members!

:sucks:

Last edited:
I agree that if you have a tach (or a good ear) it isn't needed - but for many customers it is.....

Actually, dealers (Husky and Stihl that is), risk bannishment here, if they doesn't positively offer the service.

Discussing the value of it is one thing, but the offer should be there - not all customeres are pro's or AS members!

:sucks:

Hell when i come back home im taking my saws to THALLS and have him look at hi. maybe even cajole him out of his Homelite 540

Back