Stihl dealer said no post-breakin check offered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does it lean out? I can understand the bearings freeing up a bit and the rings sealing a bit better, but the mixture should pretty much stay the same. Afterall, the max rpm is +/- 1000 rpm.

The only time that you high side may need adjusting is for different altitudes, radical changes in air density or any mods.

So the possibility of running 1000 rpm over max for ever after break in is OK with you?

AL:cheers:

So the possibility of running 1000 rpm over max for ever after break in is OK with you?

AL:cheers:
\

Not really. But people like us are different. Most of us have a tach and would do any adjustment ourselves. I'd imagine that the average guy out there has no care or understanding and would never know if it was running 1k too high.

If it's good enough for the manufacturer, then it's good enough for them.

BTW, 3 of my saws run OVER 1k over the spec.:givebeer: :cheers:

I'm in the hvac service business and if I do a $500.00 or $600.00 job I don't mind going to their place and giving them a 5 or 10 minute courtesy call. I have three stihl saws, two I bought used for a good price, the third I bought new. The first three stihl dealers I went to were so arrogant I just about told them to go to he!!. I ended up going to some AG place out in boonies near my folks place three hours from my where I live. Just out of spite. They may not have had as much knowledge but I tell you what they didn't act like arrogant A-HOLES like the other three dealers I visited. I see this crap all the time. Customers appreciate just a few minutes of time and it comes back ten fold. Not to many people anymore care about anything unless they can make boat load of cash for doing Jack Sh..!

So the same dealer That Set Up And Ran Your Saw as Andy has stated is OK with your saw maxed to rich?? What - - does he hope it'll fry when it breaks in and leans out???
Oh that's right - - - he doesn't need to see you unless you have a problem . . that's great customer service!
I guess I don't see why the Stihl heads have such an aversion to the dealers even offering to check out a new customer's saw after a break in period!?! It's only good PR and a chance to sell them something else! The more contacts a business has with their customers the more opportunities there are for sales.
Al :cheers:

It doesn't lean out after break in... the mixture doesn't change. if anything, it gets richer as the air filter clogs up!

Many Stihl dealers offer to check the saw after a few tanks, but it's only marketing, not a techical issue.

Last edited:
aaanndd. . . .

Lakeside53;1061370 Many Stihl dealers offer to check the saw after a few tanks said:
I think that's all the original poster, wahoodad, wanted in the first place from the Stihl dealer in his area!

Al ;)

Back