Stihl dealer said no post-breakin check offered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW.......So if you bought a Husky on line who would adjust it for ya.....:dizzy: :dizzy:

The pro sawperater thats who::laugh: Like his ear is better than mine
sheesh, ok I have a tach but usually before getting one, adjusted the old school load test! I have never adjusted one that broke down due to that.

Last edited:
No Problem. . .

WOW.......So if you bought a Husky on line who would adjust it for ya.....:dizzy: :dizzy:

If you bought a Husky on line (which you can't anymore) you could afford to PAY a dealer to adjust it for you. What to heck is he getting from his dealer paying full retail other than lip service??

I agree with Troll - the dealer should offer it!

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
If you bought a Husky on line (which you can't anymore) you could afford to PAY a dealer to adjust it for you. What to heck is he getting from his dealer paying full retail other than lip service??
I agree with Troll - the dealer should offer it!

My local Husky dealers are full retail....If you bought the saw from them, you might get them to do it for free...If it was bought somewhere else bring your wallet......

Yup

My local Husky dealers are full retail....If you bought the saw from them, you might get them to do it for free...If it was bought somewhere else bring your wallet......

Every Husky I own was purchased through, believe it or not, a Husqvarna dealer . . . and to man, every dealer offered a free check-up or follow-up after break-in . . . I think they call that customer relations! BTW I didn't pay full retail at any of these dealers.
I think wahoowad's Stihl dealer could learn something from these Husky Dealers.

AL :cheers:

Every Husky I own was purchased through, believe it or not, a Husqvarna dealer . . . and to man, every dealer offered a free check-up or follow-up after break-in . . . I think they call that customer relations! BTW I didn't pay full retail at any of these dealers.
I think wahoowad's Stihl dealer could learn something from these Husky Dealers.

I guess my Husky dealers could learn from your dealers too......:) :)

Every Husky I own was purchased through, believe it or not, a Husqvarna dealer . . . and to man, every dealer offered a free check-up or follow-up after break-in . . . I think they call that customer relations!

Now be honoust ; how many of you bring in your new purchased, but good running saw after a while with the dealer just to have him check it out for ya ? My guess : as long as it keeps on good running, only 1% will take up the free check up ticket. The other 99% will use it untill they need a new chain or have a problem.
So the free check up imo is indeed a marketing technique, nothing more, nothing less. But it gives mr & mrs homeowner a warm fuzzy feeling I guess, so it must be a good thing . :)

Last edited:
Now be honoust ; how many of you bring in your new purchased, but good running saw after a while with the dealer just to have him check it out for ya ? My guess : as long as it keeps on good running, only 1% will take up the free check up ticket. The other 99% will use it untill they need a new chain or have a problem.

That is 100% true out of 100 new saws sold, maybe 5 -10 will actually bring it back, mostly because they are stopping in for a new chain or to have you take it off to sharpen it. In reality it is just that, The warm fuzzy feeling that your getting something for nothing!

Every saw from Stihl to the customer is PERFECT??? Never knew there was such a thing.
Wow - - - I'm selling all my Huskys and buyin' Stihl! NOT!!!

That's why they are set up and run by the dealer before delivery.... I tell all the customers to bring it back if it's not running right, but other than that, follow the maintenance schedule in the back of the manual. If they want to bring it back (maybe 1 in 250..) I'll give it a free 1 minute checkup and bill them for a chain sharpen (if req.);)

A long time ago you'd buy a car and they wanted it back after a 1000 miles. Now they tell you to change the oil/filter and see you at 30,000...

So what's really at stake here........ a 1/8 turn of a screw?? And that's too much for a steal dealer? Uh huh, nuff said. :)

Why wouldn't any dealer realize what a low cost way this is to increase your business' goodwill?

That's why they are set up and run by the dealer before delivery.... I tell all the customers to bring it back if it's not running right, but other than that, follow the maintenance schedule in the back of the manual.
100% Correct. How many people take their "supermarket" saws back to Sears/K-Mart, Walmart, Target, and etc to have them checked out or tuned after they buy them?.................because its not even a option. This is whats nice about buying a Stihl or Husky from a Dealer, you have personal service if needed in most cases.

It may not be needed but the offer to do so is the way to go. My Dolmar dealer encouraged me to bring my 5100 back after 10 tanks or so and he would check the tuning on it.

Decided to take him up on the offer and when I picked it up, to my surprise the chain was sharpened, a new Bosch plug installed, full fuel & oil tanks and saw all spiffed up. Charge.....$3.00 for the plug.

That's old school service and something I never got from the Stihl dealer. Guess where I buy from now, guess where I tell family & friends to go? :cheers:

If I were a dealer, I wouldn't do two minutes' worth of free work on a TSC saw, unless it was installing the chain you just bought from me.

What good does it do to take it back when the H needle is usually already maxed out against the limiter cap? I don't think the dealer will remove those in most casesOTE]

About the only adjustment they can make is the L side. My 361 when bought new was maxed out on the H side and actually had to be leaned out to get it to run right if you can believe that. My dolmars both took some fine tuning on the L side. people can say what they want about husky I never had to mess with any of them, they were always dead on but I didn't get them at tractor supply either.

Huh?

What good does it do to take it back when the H needle is usually already maxed out against the limiter cap? I don't think the dealer will remove those in most cases.

So the same dealer That Set Up And Ran Your Saw as Andy has stated is OK with your saw maxed to rich?? What - - does he hope it'll fry when it breaks in and leans out???
Oh that's right - - - he doesn't need to see you unless you have a problem . . that's great customer service!
I guess I don't see why the Stihl heads have such an aversion to the dealers even offering to check out a new customer's saw after a break in period!?! It's only good PR and a chance to sell them something else! The more contacts a business has with their customers the more opportunities there are for sales.

+1

It may not be needed but the offer to do so is the way to go. My Dolmar dealer encouraged me to bring my 5100 back after 10 tanks or so and he would check the tuning on it.

Decided to take him up on the offer and when I picked it up, to my surprise the chain was sharpened, a new Bosch plug installed, full fuel & oil tanks and saw all spiffed up. Charge.....$3.00 for the plug.

That's old school service and something I never got from the Stihl dealer. Guess where I buy from now, guess where I tell family & friends to go? :cheers:

That's what I'm talking about.

How does it lean out? I can understand the bearings freeing up a bit and the rings sealing a bit better, but the mixture should pretty much stay the same. Afterall, the max rpm is +/- 1000 rpm.

The only time that you high side may need adjusting is for different altitudes, radical changes in air density or any mods.

Latest posts

Back