stihl dealers attitude

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIRCHOPALOT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not trying to rattle anyones chain here, and I love my 026. and I think stihl makes great saws,but every stihl dealer that I have gone into has a bad attitude. when I went in checking out saws and tell them I was getting either a stihl or a husky all I want is for them to tell me why I should buy their product. Instead all I get is treated like I don't know anything about chainsaws and that the huskies are nothing but junk. So then I go to the local huskie dealer and tell him the same thing and all he said was "stihl makes great saws, I can give you some comparative saw specs and let you see them and answer any question you have" a totally different sales technique than all the stihl guys. the thing is the ratio of stihl to husky dealers here is probably 6-1 if not more. maybe that is the problem. I'm sure they are not all that way, but it has left a sour taste in my mouth. I was considering 440 vs 372 , and was trying to make a decision between the two, But I think the dealer has made it for me.

Sometimes the best way to create a happy customer is by suggesting they buy something from someone else! I try to match my customer's needs for price, power, weight, chain type, etc, to the best model I sell. If I don't compete well in a certain area, I'm the first to point it out. Lay down all the facts as unbiased as you can, and let the customer make an informed decision about what they are buying. Even if they go buy a saw somewhere else, they will need bars, chains, oil, files, and service that I can provide. One reason I decided to get into this business is our local Stihl dealer acts the same way you describe.

The Husky's and Jonsered's have alot better air filter system than the stihl's. But stihl's are a good saw. Most of the stihl shops think they are the only show in town.

Ricky

i got the arrogant treatment from the local stihl dealer here on both occasions i was in saw shopping, couldnt be bothered to ask if i needed help or what do i need. the husky dealer didnt know any more about the saws than i did,every question i had he had to look up in the catalog so guess what, i bought online and if something goes wrong i guess i will learn how to fix it

My uncle told me a story about going into our local Stihl dealer to ask about either Total or Carlton chain (can't remember which now). Long story short, my uncle wanted to buy a specific brand, and the store clerk (a young kid) said basically that that chain was junk and anybody who has cut any amount of wood wouldn't waste their time asking for junk chain. My Dad and his brothers were logging as kids, and this particular uncle has cut more firewood then I think I could measure, and made his living for a few years doing custom cutting. Needless to say, he proceeded to put the clerk in his place.

I seem to get the same treatment in the local gun shops. They treat you like you are an Idiot. I refuse to even go in those places anymore. If the salesman doesn't know an answer I would rather he just say so. instead of coming up with a big line of BS. would save everyone lots of time!

TonyM said:
Sometimes the best way to create a happy customer is by suggesting they buy something from someone else! I try to match my customer's needs for price, power, weight, chain type, etc, to the best model I sell. If I don't compete well in a certain area, I'm the first to point it out. Lay down all the facts as unbiased as you can, and let the customer make an informed decision about what they are buying. Even if they go buy a saw somewhere else, they will need bars, chains, oil, files, and service that I can provide. One reason I decided to get into this business is our local Stihl dealer acts the same way you describe.

Maybe I will come buy from you, how far from toledo are you?

I like a straight answer too, not a long line of BS. If you tell me an honest answer, then I'll do business, give me a load of crap, and I'll go somewhere else.

It would be nice if customers where honest about what they expect from their new purchase. I had a guy come in with a dead Homelite Super 2 and he wanted something to replace it. So I sold him a 210 Poulan Pro, then he goes out and tries to murder oaks 2' across with a dull chain and complains that he had to get some guys with Stihls to cut wood. Well you should have purchased the 505 Mr. Piker. So I guess the door swings both ways.

I'm a ways from Toledo. I am about an hour north of the southern Michigan border, but a little west of I-69. It's about 3 to 3-1/2 hours to Toledo.

I always try to give the customer what they want, and I just hope that if a customer ever felt like they got a raw deal, they would be honest with me about it so I can have a chance to make it right or at least explain my rationale. Doesn't do anybody any good for an upset customer to go of seathing about something and never let me know what's up.

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences. Mine have been just the opposite. My Stihl deale is just great. There's several employees there, and they're all ready to help, fix me up with an extra screw or side plate when I need one, free of charge, order whatever I want, and are just great to deal with all the way. A good dealer is worth his (or her) weight in gold, and I think worth driving a few hours to get what you want.

Take care all,
Jeff

Stihl Dealer

I have vistited two dealers, one within 5 miles and another about 25 miles but is a mile from where I work. The one close to the house is a motorcycle dealer and they carry little accessories( no ppe) and have no idea what they are talking about. The other carries about everything and felt bad about not have the specific carlton file-o-plate in stock. To boot his prices on his stihl brand chaps and helmet were the most resonable in town of any brand which i promptly bought. When the homelite dies I know where I am getting a saw. The only husky dealers in town are the big chain stores, and they hardly even know they carry chainsaws. Keep your money local and it normally will come back to you in same form or another. I buy my horse feed from a local small horse tack shop, and it is more expensive than farm and fleet, but hey, the other day he said I could cut wood from his property for free, more than making up the difference.

one of the local stihl dealers, about 2 miles from where I work was a total a$$. Was trying to find parts for saws and see if he could order him. His response was: " See the sign in the window? I am a Stihl dealer and only work on Stihls!" So I asked him on his chains, and he got real pissy. "I won't sell a STIHL chain for any of your crap saws, only for STIHLS!" I left and will never go back. I found another shop in town that has been more than helpful on ordering parts for me. :angry:

Marco said:
It would be nice if customers where honest about what they expect from their new purchase. I had a guy come in with a dead Homelite Super 2 and he wanted something to replace it. So I sold him a 210 Poulan Pro, then he goes out and tries to murder oaks 2' across with a dull chain and complains that he had to get some guys with Stihls to cut wood. Well you should have purchased the 505 Mr. Piker. So I guess the door swings both ways.
Maybe if you asked him what he was going to use it for you could have sold him a larger saw. you are the expert,not him by the way are you saying the 505 will cut 2` oaks with a dull chain? just kidding

A 505 will cut dead oaks 2' across with a slightly dull chain better than a 210 with a new one...... He said he was cleaning up some storm damage, limbs and stuff. He feeds me this line, presents me with a dead super two that he said was working for what he was doing. The margians on these things just ain't high enough that I can drive and see his situataion. You do your best and be a nice guy and some of these folks will take all you give them and still complain they are getting screwed. So if some of these dealers are a little grumpy it could be they have just had to deal with one of these works, at some point you would be better to take the saw out and run it over than sell it to one of these guys. Would end up costing you less.

I have found it to be the same way. Very dissapointing. Ran some form of OPE most of my life, had two Stihl saws that never started very well and was always told I didn't know how to start a saw. I have a Stihl weedwacker and blower, they do fine. Now I use Dolmar and Husky saws. They do fine. I did have one Stihl dealer that also sold Echo tell me that they have far fewer problems with Echo trimmers and blowers though. But all the others didn't know the competitors products at all and knew less about their own than I did.

Most saw dealers around here sell both Husky and Stihl together, so they can't really badmouth either company. Too bad you guys have had problems, I have had some problems over the years, which the dealers have handled well. But I guess when you walk in with your boots on, wearing a shirt with a tree company logo, they know not to bite the hand that feeds them. Even better if you walk in with your calks on....

Latest posts

Back