Stihl Dealers Getting Dropped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys have to keep in mind that you are an elite breed of chainsaw enthusiasts. KenJax, the dealer wanted to know the model because everyday people come in looking for say a 16" chain.

"what model is it?"
"uh . . . . its orange . . . I think"

So basically the truly informed customers suffer because dealers are trained to deal with the uninformed customers (which is most customers). I am a dealer and I readily acknowledge that most of the people on this site know way more than I do about chainsaws. I spend my days attempting to manage a hardware store, not using and repairing chainsaws. But my market is homeowners and ranchers and they think I am a chainsaw god because I can figure out which 16" chain they need.

But it is sad that the dealer thought Stihl chain only fit Stihl chainsaws. We don't stock the particular chain you wanted either, but will happily order it for you!

I do wish Stihl did more to educate dealers. There are online "course" we can take, but I don't find them all that helpful. And the old timers who work at my store would not sit in front of a computer for hours going through power point slides.

You guys have to keep in mind that you are an elite breed of chainsaw enthusiasts. KenJax, the dealer wanted to know the model because everyday people come in looking for say a 16" chain.

"what model is it?"
"uh . . . . its orange . . . I think"

So basically the truly informed customers suffer because dealers are trained to deal with the uninformed customers (which is most customers). I am a dealer and I readily acknowledge that most of the people on this site know way more than I do about chainsaws. I spend my days attempting to manage a hardware store, not using and repairing chainsaws. But my market is homeowners and ranchers and they think I am a chainsaw god because I can figure out which 16" chain they need.

But it is sad that the dealer thought Stihl chain only fit Stihl chainsaws. We don't stock the particular chain you wanted either, but will happily order it for you!

I do wish Stihl did more to educate dealers. There are online "course" we can take, but I don't find them all that helpful. And the old timers who work at my store would not sit in front of a computer for hours going through power point slides.

Regardless if most of the customers don't know what they're talking about. This one clearly does. He's asking specifically for 33rmc72, that finishes the convo right there. Whether that's what he needs or not is irrelevant to me. I give them what they ask for.

Regardless if most of the customers don't know what they're talking about. This one clearly does. He's asking specifically for 33rmc72, that finishes the convo right there. Whether that's what he needs or not is irrelevant to me. I give them what they ask for.

Repped!!:msp_thumbup:

I know I am at I think a month now waiting for a couple of wristpin circlips for a 290/390 to come in from ordering them, because they don't stock such unusual exotic and esoteric parts at the local Stihl dealership here.....

I too have ordered wristpin clips along with a case gasket for an 084 (in Statesville, NC). Its been over 2 weeks now. You have seen those parts as much as I have. :confused:

Update: Got a call today from the Stihl dealer. Parts will ship to the dealer from Stihl on Friday. 3 weeks to get it here.

Last edited:
Buy Husqvarna. :cheers:

Ummmm, NO! Husqvarna did this dealer dirty as well. Stock their cheap mowers or loose 10% profit margin. At the time you could buy the same mowers at Lowe's that Husky had $200 bellow dealer cost. That's what happens when mowers are outsourced to AYP. I don't want any orange Poulans either.

Ummmm, NO! Husqvarna did this dealer dirty as well. Stock their cheap mowers or loose 10% profit margin. At the time you could buy the same mowers at Lowe's that Husky had $200 bellow dealer cost. That's what happens when mowers are outsourced to AYP. I don't want any orange Poulans either.

Sounds like a vast power equipment conspiracy. I bet their phones are being tapped by men with girth sitting in large leather arm chairs in smoke filled rooms.

My mom has two of those nominal Husqvarna mowers. Typical overpriced, short lived crap peddled to unknowing suburbanites. Cupholders and Lazy Boy sized seats atop fragile hydro transaxles and huge, gas guzzling engines to make you feel manly. I would take my 23 year old Murray 12hp stick shift riding mower over any of them, it will be cutting long after this year's crop of expensive disposable riding mowers have bit the dust. Mowed with it today in fact!

Every saw costs more where I live, the local Jonsered dealer orders all of my orange parts for me and they get there next day, most of the time. The distributor is only 15 min away, so thats no surprise. Sthil is not alone when it comes to thinking of the bottom line above most other things. The dealer here cant get trimmers in the same brand as the saws he sells. He orders, but they don't come, so he started selling another brand. There is a Sthil dealer just down the road from him and parts take forever to come, so I stick with my Jonavarnas. I will admit, I buy Sthil chains half the time because the Jonny dealer isn't always open when I'm going by. It be my imagination, but they seam to last longer.

Back